Computational Specialist - Electron Microscopy
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) seeks an experienced Computational Specialist in Electron Microscopy as a Staff Research Scientist to work within the Biological and Cryogenic Transmission Electron Microscopy Resource Center. The center currently manages four microscopes including a new Titan Krios with phase plate, energy filter, and K2 Summit direct detector; a Talos Arctica (also with K2 Summit direct detector); a Tecnai G2 Polara (also with energy filter and K2 Summit direct detector); a Tecnai T12, and numerous other sample preparation and CLEM instruments. Caltech is a top-ranked, vibrant research institution in the heart of Southern California with established strengths in structural biology and cryo-EM.
We are looking for a highly motivated candidate with demonstrated experience in image processing and structure determination in electron cryo-microscopy.
- As the Computational Specialist for the Biological and Cryogenic Transmission Electron Microscopy Resource Center, the successful candidate will process data, train users, maintain software/hardware, and help prepare results for publication.
- Most of the projects will be single particle analyses, but others will involve tomography and perhaps 2-D crystallography.
- Some evening and weekend work will be necessary to take full advantage of the instruments.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Minimum of four years of relevant work experience.
- Previous facility experience working with students, postdocs, and faculty in EM research and education.
- Some evening and weekend work will be necessary.
- Doctoral degree that includes research in electron cryo-microscopy is preferred.
Supervisory position? Yes
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 06/23/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.