Research Engineer in Internet of Things
- Internet of Things (IoT) Key Lab and School of Software and Electrical
- HEW 7: $74,894 - $80,845 plus 17% superannuation
- Multiple positions available commencing in August - Full time, fixed term positions (1 year) based in Hawthorn
Swinburne University of Technology is an internationally-recognised provider of quality education and an institution with a rich legacy of industry collaborations. We are an innovative University at the forefront of technology and are committed to delivering excellence in higher education, vocational training and research.
About the job
An exciting opportunity exists for Research Engineers to join the Key Lab for Internet of Things (IoT). The research engineer will be expected to undertake design, development, implementation and testing of solutions and systems in the areas of Internet of Things (IoT) and data analytics.
With the opportunity to execute and develop business critical applications from concept to development, you will consider and incorporate business needs into technical solutions.
Skills and experience
To be successful in this role you will need to demonstrate the following:
- Doctoral qualification in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, with substantial R&D or industry experience, or Master qualifications with substantial experience in software engineering and research tasks conducted in R&D projects
- Excellent software development and/or data analytic skills for large projects – with an understanding of program languages such as Java/C#/C++/Ruby/PERL, SQL, Python and R.
- Excellent knowledge and skills in system design methods and techniques and developing complete software solutions
- Proven experience in writing proposals, program documentation for submission to external/internal funding bodies and evidence of success
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; to build rapport and communicate with various stakeholders.
A full list of the selection criteria is available within the position description.
At Swinburne we recognise the need to support the work/life balance and flexible needs of our staff. As such a range of flexible working arrangements including paid maternity/partner leave, onsite childcare, working from home and part time options are available. You will have access to many benefits such as career development opportunities including 50% study reduction and staff and management development programs. You will receive up to 17% employer contributions (pension) and various discounts on annual Myki cards, private health insurance and movie tickets.
To find out more about the extensive benefits offered to Swinburne employees please visit: http://www.swinburne.edu.au/about/jobs/why-work-at-swinburne/
The diverse culture within Swinburne is a source of strength. We have an inclusive working environment with employees from a variety of backgrounds.
We acknowledge that diversity in the university workforce increases the effectiveness of teams and our capacity for innovation. We welcome applications from Indigenous people, workers of all ages, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
We are proud to be recognised by the Workplace Gender Equality Agency as an Employer of Choice for Gender Equality 2015 and of key initiatives such as our Pride@Swinburne Strategic Action Plan and our Reconciliation Action Plan which are integral components of our 2020 vision to be Australia’s leading university of science, technology and innovation.
How to apply
To start an application click on 'begin' at the bottom of this page and submit a resume, cover letter and response to the Key Selection Criteria, as listed in the Position Description. Please do not email or send paper applications, all applications must be submitted online.
Swinburne University of Technology is a Child Safe Organisation and as part of this commitment, we require all employees to have a current Working with Children’s Check.
All appointments are subject to a valid Working with Children’s Check, therefore it will be a mandatory requirement to have and maintain a current Working with Children Check.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties submitting your application, please contact the Recruitment team on +61 3 9214 8600 (option 2).
For further information about this role, please contact Prof. Dimitrios Georgakopoulos firstname.lastname@example.org 9214 4341 or Dr. Prem Prakash Jayaraman, email@example.com 9214 8587
Applications close once positions have been filled.