PhD Fellowship in Medicine
Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences
Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine
A PhD fellowship within bioinformatics of genetic variation is available at the Department of Clinical and Molecular Medicine, The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences. The position is within the K.G. Jebsen Center for Genetic Epidemiology.
The aim of the K.G. Jebsen Center for Genetic Epidemiology is to understand human health and disease by studying genomic variation in populations. Central to the Center are genetic and phenotypic data from the Nord-Trøndelag Health Survey (HUNT). The candidate will be part of an interdisciplinary research team with broad international experience. The current position will focus on developing bioinformatics and machine learning methods for analyzing phenotype-associated genetic variants.
The period of employment for the position is 3 years without teaching duties. The position has the objective of qualifying for higher academic positions. Admission to a doctoral degree program is a requirement for employment as a PhD candidate. For regulations concerning the PhD-degree at NTNU, please see: http://www.ntnu.no/studieavd/dok/PhD_regulations.pdf
Requirements of the applicant:
- A MSc in bioinformatics or computer science with excellent results. Students in their final stage of completing their Master’s degree are also invited to apply.
- A strong academic record with a weighted average grade of master’s or equivalent education with a grade of B or higher, in accordance with NTNU’s grading system.
- Proficiency in oral and written English.
Emphasis will also be placed on:
- Strong computer science background and skills in general and strong programming skills in particular.
- Experience in one or more of the following: machine learning, genome-level analyses of data from high throughput methods, and statistical genomics.
- Documented experience from research projects, and also publications in recognized international peer-reviewed scientific journals, presentations at recognized international scientific meetings, and a degree from a reputable university in the field.
- Personal qualities and potential as a researcher.
- Being a member of an interactive and international project team, successful candidates should have strong communication and cooperation skills.
A professional research environment targeting scientific and technological challenges with dedicated colleagues, and attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
Depending on qualifications and academic background, PhD Candidates (in code 1017) at the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences will be remunerated at a minimum of NOK 436 500 per year before tax. Normal wage level is NOK 436 500 – 499 200 of which 2% is deducted for the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund.
The appointment will be made in accordance with current regulations and supplementary rules with guidelines for employment as PhD Candidate appointments at universities and university colleges.
The Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. A good work environment is characterized by diversity. We encourage qualified candidates to apply, regardless of their gender, functional capacity or cultural background. If necessary, we will adapt the workplace for people with disabilities. Increasing the number of women in academic positions is an important priority for the Norwegian University of Science and Technology.
How to apply:
- Applicants are kindly asked to apply via www.jobbnorge.no. The application should contain the following attachments:
- Applicants’ CV (including list of publications, relevant former positions and references) and copy of relevant transcripts and diplomas.
- The applicant’s view of research challenges within the area of the PhD position (up to 1000 words);
- Short statement on the applicant’s personal qualifications and motivation for the position.
- Short statement from a former supervisor/tutor/teacher.
- Contact information for two references.
- Other relevant attachments.
If the applicant has not yet submitted his/her MSc thesis, he/she should instead include a short description of the thesis project, its current status and main findings; and publications that the applicant wishes to be taken into account (joint work must clearly indicate the applicant’s contribution).
Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree: http://ec.europa.eu/education/tools/diploma-supplement_en.htm
Foreign applicants not having English as native language have to document proficiency in English. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS, or Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE).
Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test),
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted),
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. Chosen applicants will be invited to undergo an interview.
Deadline for applications: 16.08.2017.
For further information about the position, please contact Professor Pål Sætrom, Phone +47 72 57 30 11, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For information concerning the application process, please contact the HR Executive Officer Mariann Hansen: email@example.com
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
Please note that under the Norwegian Civil Service Act, information about applicants may be made public even though the applicant has requested not to be included on the list of applicants.
About this job
- Deadline Wednesday, August 16, 2017
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 139958
- Internal ID 17/22192
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!