Assistant Research Fellow/Associate Research Fellow/Research Fellow in Electrical Engineering
The successful candidate will undertake research on power electronics for high performance electrical drive applications. This job will give the opportunity to work alongside a team of researchers developing electrical drives and their controls.
This is an exciting opportunity to work within IAMET a major new flagship £25m initiative that the University of Nottingham has established. The IAMET is a world-leading research and knowledge exchange hub focused on the marine economy. The position will also give the opportunity to join the PEMC Group, which is internationally renowned for research in power conversion, aerospace electrical power systems, power device and packaging technologies, electrical machines technology, industrial ac drives and energy systems. The PEMC Group currently has 13 academics and 90 researchers, along with a research grant portfolio of over £20m.
This full-time, fixed-term post is available immediately and will be offered for an initial period of two years.
Informal enquiries may be addressed to Professor C Gerada, Email: email@example.com. Please note that applications made directly to this Email address will not be accepted.
- A MSc/PhD or equivalent and research experience in the design or modelling of power electronics for electrical drives.
- Research skills.
- Social and communication skills.
- Relevant IT skills.
- Good working knowledge of power electronic simulation software.
- Good programming skills for real time systems.
- Experience in a research environment.
- Experience of power converter research.
- Experience within building power electronics.
- Experience in programming DSP and FPGA platforms.
- Ability to work well in a team.
- Ability to work to deadlines and prioritise tasks.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Practical skills in electrical drive design and commissioning.
- Skills in modelling various electrical drive topologies.
- Familiar with drive fault detection methods.
- Familiar with programming of DSP and FPGA software.
- Experience of working with permanent magnet motors.
- Experience in commissioning of electrical drives.
- Demonstrate creativity and leadership in problem solving.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To deliver research as part of a collaborative team and contribute to the achievement of specific research objectives.
- To collaborate in writing papers for submission to journals and conferences and prepare progress reports on the results of research.
- To present the results of research at project progress meetings and at conferences.
- To assist in the co-ordination of the research and related administrative tasks, including liaising with external project collaborators and providing assistance with supervision of doctoral students.
- To participate in training and staff development schemes as trainer or trainee as appropriate.
- To maintain appropriate professional development, expertise and awareness.
- To undertake other tasks and responsibilities as may reasonably be required.
This job description may be subject to revision following discussion with the person appointed and forms part of the contract of employment.
How to Apply
Please send job application with the following documents before the closing date:
- UNNC Application Form (please download from here);
- Cover Letter;
Please kindly note that all documents should be completed in English and in Word/ PDF format.
Late or incomplete application will not be considered to be shortlisted.
Please send application and enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org