Research Engineer in Faculty of Science & Engineering
The post is required to provide support for research in manufacturing engineering and related subjects, to demonstrate laboratory skills to PhD students and support/supervise them in their exploratory work and to assist the research group in develop new research activities and strands.
The post holder should have ability and skills to manufacture complex parts for research purposes, using a variety of manufacturing processes/machine tools, ability to operate and/or learn how to use laboratory instruments, knowledge to assist staff/PhD students, support in outsourcing part production (where necessary) and to provide day-to-day management of the laboratory, including safe laboratory and workshop practice.
- Master degree or equivalent in mechanical/manufacturing engineering or related discipline;
- Good communication skills, including written and spoken English;
- Confident in the use of workshop / laboratory equipment;
- Competent in the operation of CNC machine tools (using G code by CAM packages) and metrological tools (e.g. CMM);
- Competent in the design (using CAD packages), construction and commissioning of experimental rigs;
- Capable of carrying out maintenance and calibration tasks on the laboratory instruments;
- Capable of the implementation of international safety standards in laboratories;
- Computer literacy;
- Experience with a variety of manufacturing equipment (see above specification);
- Implementing and working to international standards of health and safety;
- Good organisational and time management skills;
- Ability to work independently when required;
- Problem solving skills;
- Willingness to learn new skills;
- PhD degree in manufacturing/mechanical engineering or related discipline;
- Solid experience in CAD and CAM packages;
- Solid experience in multi-axis programming of machine tools for generating complex parts;
- Skilled in using vibration testing and analysis systems (e.g. using ME’scope and SignalCalc);
- Skilled in utilising process monitoring equipment (thermocouples, accelerometers, dynamometers, etc);
- Experience in using CMM and other metrology equipment;
- Training in the use of 3D printers and additive manufacturing techniques;
- Experience with industrial robots;
- Ability to use LabVIEW software for simple tasks;
- Experience in working in academic/research environment where high/precision machine tools are utilised;
- Experience in documenting research outputs and make preliminary analysis;
- Ability to train and supervise PhD students and researchers in their laboratory work;
- Good team player and open for new challenges.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- To provide support for research in manufacturing engineering and related subjects;
- To assist PhD students and staff with experiments and part-design evaluation;
- To design and manufacture complex parts and test rigs for research purposes;
- To operate, manage and maintain a variety of modern (i.e. CNC) machine tools for conventional and non-conventional machining;
- To operate and train PhD students and researchers in operating laboratory instruments;
- To provide day-to-day management of the laboratory, including safe laboratory and workshop practice;
- To ensure the safe disposal of materials, to work in an orderly manner, observing the University’s health and safety policies and the specific rules of the workshop and laboratories safety regulations;
- To assist with the ordering of materials and equipment;
- To maintain equipment and work areas in a clean, tidy and efficient condition;
- To maintain documentation of materials and processes used, as reference material.
How to Apply
Please send job application with the following documents before the closing date:
- UNNC Application Form (please download from here); http://www.nottingham.edu.cn/en/about/documents/applicationform.doc
- Cover Letter;
Please kindly note that all documents should be completed in English and in Word/ PDF format.
Late or incomplete application will not be considered to be shortlisted.
Please send application and enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org