Assistant/Associate Professor Position in Civil Engineering
College of Engineering - Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Established in 1980, the College of Engineering offers programs in the fields of Architectural, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, and Computer Engineering and Computer Science with the primary goal of preparing Qatari engineers with outstanding scientific and technical competencies to enable them to participate and contribute in the various developmental aspects of the country. The Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering utilizes advanced teaching and learning tools and has well-equipped laboratories. The Civil Engineering Program has received ABET accreditation in 2004 and later in 2010.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering has an opening for an Assistant/Associate Professor position in the area of infrastructure and Construction. Applicants should have an earned doctorate in Civil Engineering and teaching experience in the area of infrastructure and construction engineering. They should have a strong commitment to teaching excellence at the undergraduate and post graduate levels. The successful faculty candidate will complement the existing civil engineering faculty in the department and will develop and sustain funded research program and publish in leading scholarly journals.
Application deadline: Open Until Filled
Position category: Academic
Employment type: Full time
Position term: Three years
Academic rank: Assistant or Associate Professor
The successful candidates are expected to hold a Ph.D. Degree in Civil Engineering from a prestigious university. They should also have expertise in the relevant areas and a track record of scholarly activities in the field. English language is essential. Industrial experience is a plus. Experience in managing research projects and/or professional practice would be also advantageous.
Successful applicants should be able to:
- Adopt and develop a “student centered” approach to teaching and learning.
- Teach undergraduate and graduate courses in related Civil Engineering disciplines.
- Develop expertise in using course management environments such as Blackboard to support taught courses and assessment.
- Contribute to collaborative research, consulting and short courses in conjunction with local industries.
- Contribute to a collegiate atmosphere in the department and college.
- Advise undergraduate students and be involved effectively in service duties such as capstone project reviews, design juries, committee work and curriculum development.
Full vitae, statement of teaching and research philosophies and names of three referees to be submitted through the Qatar University (QU) Online Recruitment System.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- competitive tax-free salary.
- furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- annual round trip air tickets for the individual and immediate dependents
- educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- and end-of-contract indemnity.
- Qatar University is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.Salary is commensurate with experience. This is a year-round position and will exist for the duration of at least three years. This position is available immediately, but the start date is negotiable.
How To Apply
Applications should be submitted via Qatar University’s online application process. Please complete all sections of the application and submit the following supporting documents in order to be considered for an interview:
- A letter of application in which interest in and qualifications for the position are concisely addressed and relevant experiences summarized.
- A current professional vita/resume.
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.