Civil-engineering/architectural designer-draughtsperson in the civil-engineering design service of the Design Office and Patrimony (DOP) section, Site Management and Buildings (SMB) department.
The successful candidate will join the civil-engineering design service of the Design Office and Patrimony section which is part of the Site Engineering group in the Site Management and Buildings department (SMB-SE-DOP) and is responsible for civil-engineering design and studies of surface and underground structures, as well as outdoor installations and of all underground networks. This service also creates computerised 3D models of all accelerator-related structures.
As a 2D and 3D designer-draughtsperson you will be assigned the following tasks:
- Execution of various types of concept design, feasibility design, preliminary design, tender design and construction design, using software such as Revit, Autocad, Civil 3D and Sketchup.
- Deployment of BIM methodology, including the creation of 3D models and 2D drawings for the various studies.
- Preparation of architectural, civil-engineering, construction, finishing and detail drawings, etc, for all types of study.
- Work on various types of structure (tertiary buildings, industrial buildings, tunnels, service tunnels and underground infrastructure, roads, utility networks, etc.) in all types of situation (new constructions, modification of existing structures, repair, etc).
- Participation in the consolidation, maintenance and building pathology diagnostics programmes and in the development of the "Master Plan".
- Work in close collaboration with project leaders, the section's drafting team and the other technical services, and participation in the coordination of and integration in the various phases of the project.
- Creation of photomontages, renders and video montages based on the 3D models, photos taken on site, videos, etc.
- Participation in the transmission of information to and from CERN in cases where full or partial commissions are entrusted to external architectural or civil-engineering firms. Checking and logging the documents received from these firms.
- Participation in the updating of the section's QAP (quality assurance plan) and BIM methodology.
- Participation in various working groups (draughtspersons, graphic design, standards, etc).
- Participation in coordination meetings with the draughting team from the section and from contracted firms.
- Monitoring of changes in the technical regulations applicable to structural and finishing work, and in the technical features of new materials available on the market.
Higher technical diploma as an architectural or civil-engineering draughtsperson, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience in the use of Revit, AutoCAD 2D and 3D, and preferably knowledge of several different 3D software packages.
- Experience of working with 3D scans (in Revit).
- 2D and 3D conflict analysis and integration (use of Navisworks or other software).
- Design of reinforced concrete or metallic buildings.
- Experience in the use of Revit, AutoCAD and other software.
- Proven experience of drafting and designing tertiary buildings and industrial structures.
- Good knowledge of other building trades (electricity, air handling, plumbing, sanitary facilities, etc).
- Ability to plan and evaluate design study lead times.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Industrial buildings architectural design/drafting.
- Civil buildings design/drafting.
- Industrial and tertiary building construction.
- Metallic structure construction.
- Road and drainage works design.
- Underground structure construction.
- Concrete structure construction.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Communicating effectively: customer-oriented approach and active listening skills for discussions with the Group's engineers and technicians or with colleagues in other groups.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; involving others accordingly and sharing information.
- Demonstrating flexibility and dynamism: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements and being able to cope with workload spikes.
- Proven ability to work in a team and to adapt to an international and multidisciplinary environment.
- Autonomy: able to work independently and to develop one's own ideas.
The language competencies required for this post are:
- English or French: spoken and written. The ability to understand and speak the other language in everyday situations would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 27.07.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to further available funding the contract duration may be extended. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may be granted an indefinite contract.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Work in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the Organization.