Experienced Hardware Infrastructure Technician
Experienced Hardware Infrastructure Technician in the Beams Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Infrastructure Section (IN).
You will join:
- The Beams Department responsible for the operation and performance of the entire CERN Accelerator complex, including the injector complex and their experimental areas, and the LHC.
- The Controls Group responsible for the specification, design, procurement, integration, installation, commissioning and operation of the controls infrastructure for all CERN Accelerators, their transfer lines and the Experimental Areas. Support is also provided to the technical infrastructure services that rely on standard controls facilities provided by the Group.
- The Infrastructure Section in charge of the specification, procurement, administration and support of the CERN Accelerator computing infrastructure. This portfolio covers the high-performance server platforms of the Accelerator data center, operator workstations and Accelerator Real-time hardware platforms with their associated fieldbus networks.
As Experienced Hardware Infrastructure Technician in the BE-CO-IN Section, you will participate in the engineering processes involved in the operation and evolution of the CERN Accelerator control system hardware infrastructure.
Your main activities will consist of:
- Ensure the operational performance, availability and stability of the installed infrastructure, with a special emphasis on the real-time embedded platforms used to the on-line control of the CERN Accelerator complex.
- Take responsibility for the integration of embedded hardware solutions within the Accelerator control system. This covers the following activities:
- Requirements capture and analysis with CERN stakeholders (operations, equipment groups).
- Procurement processes with industry partners and CERN finance service.
- Close collaboration with the BE/CO hardware design engineers.
- Qualification and integration of in-house and commercial hardware solutions within the CERN Linux based environment (data acquisition modules, processors, crates, power supplies).
- Operational hardware installations (fieldbus networks, Real-time hardware platforms).
- Asset management (procurement, stock management, statistical analysis, upgrade policy).
- Technical evolution of the infrastructure.
- Operational support, including participation to best-effort support outside normal working hours.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electronics (hardware architectures), or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in large scale distributed hardware infrastructures, in particular:
- Long distance communication fieldbuses (principles, performance, diagnostics).
- Embedded electronic platforms such as PCI(e) industrial computers, VMEbus systems, MicroTCA and PLCs.
- Diagnostic and monitoring standards for the above mentioned platforms (e.g. SNMP, IPMI).
- Linux operating system and network-level protocols.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Installation, maintenance & operation of Control systems: embedded systems.
- Data communication buses (serial buses, parallel buses, fieldbuses) and networking.
- Integration and validation of hardware embedded systems based on standardized electronic modules: PCI(e), PXIe, VMEbus, MicroTCA, PLCs.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; listening actively to others and letting others speak; demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw up technical texts in one of the two languages, as well as ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 29.08.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.