Assistant or Associate Professor in Structural Engineering
Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the premier national institution of higher education with a mission to produce well-rounded graduates with academic knowledge of quality and excellence coupled with a keen spirit of volunteerism and civic responsibility. This is underpinned by committed leadership and an experienced and motivated faculty and staff body.
Established in 1980, the College of Engineering offers degree programs in the fields of Architectural, Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Mechanical, Industrial and Systems, Computer Science and Computer Engineering with the primary goal of preparing Qatari engineers with outstanding scientific and technical competencies to enable them to participate and contribute in the various aspects of the country.
The Department of Civil and Architectural Engineering utilizes advanced teaching and learning tools and has well-equipped laboratories. The Civil Engineering Program has received ABET accreditation in 2004 and later in 2010.
Duties & Responsibilities
The Department of Civil Engineering has an opening for an Assistant/Associate Professor position in the area of Structural Engineering. Applicants should have an earned doctorate in one of the areas of Structural Dynamics, Steel Structures, Concrete Structures, or in an area related to Structural Materials or Structural Mechanics. They should have a strong commitment to teaching excellence at the undergraduate and postgraduate levels. The successful faculty candidate will complement the existing structural engineering faculty in the department and will develop and sustain funded research program and publish in leading scholarly journals.
The successful candidates are expected to hold a Ph.D. Degree in Civil Engineering from a prestigious university. They should also have expertise in the relevant areas and a track record of scholarly activities in the field. English language is essential. Industrial experience is a plus. Experience in managing research projects and/or professional practice would be also advantageous.
Successful applicants should be able to:
- Adopt and develop a “student centered” approach to teaching and learning.
- Teach undergraduate courses in related Civil Engineering disciplines
- Develop expertise in using course management environments such as Blackboard to support taught courses and assessment
- Contribute to collaborative research, consulting and short courses in conjunction with local industries
- Contribute to a collegiate atmosphere in the department and college
- Advise undergraduate students and be involved effectively in service duties such as capstone project reviews, design juries, committee work and curriculum development.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract. Salary is commensurate with experience. Tax-free salary. Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies. Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies. Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies. Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies. Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies. End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login in QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online website (https://careers.qu.edu.qa) and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.