1 day left
- Full Time
SCHOOL OF MEDICAL AND HEALTH SCIENCES
$61, 613 - $65,829 (HEW 4)
FULL TIME, FIXED TERM (12 MONTHS)
- Do you want to help future generations grow up healthy and happy?
- Do you want a laboratory position at ECU that collaborates with Joondalup Health Campus and Telethon Kids Institute to study the health of new born babies?
- The ORIGINS Project is a new health initiative that aims to uncover the development of diseases like obesity, heart disease, allergies and poor mental health.
- To find out more: by visiting the website at ORIGINSproject.telethonkids.org.au
As a result of collaboration between ECU and Telethon Kids Institute Origins Project, we currently have an opportunity for a Laboratory Technician to undertake cryopreservation of cord blood and placenta processing duties obtained from Origins Project participants to expand the collection of biobanks of these tissues. The technician will be responsible for picking up samples from Joondalup Health Campus, processing blood samples, preparing samples for storage, and entry of information into a database.
The incumbent will be a part of the Telethon Kids Institute Origins project that incorporates a multi-disciplinary team of scientists, clinicians and support staff.
- Performing placenta processing and core blood processing;
- Strict adherence to study protocols;
- The meticulous preparation and barcoding of the blood samples;
- Picking up birth samples when required;
- Data entry and ensuring its accuracy into a database;
- Maintaining, auditing and implementing changes to sample tracking database;
- Contributing to the writing of standard operating procedures and other manuals; and
- Working with liquid nitrogen, using sterile techniques and maintaining a sterile laboratory environment.
Skills and Experience
- A University degree in science, applied science, health or a health related discipline;
- Previous laboratory experience including blood processing and sterile technique;
- Evidence of experience in a similar role;
- Excellent computer and communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Excellent data entry skills;
- Ability to carry out duties under supervision as well as autonomously; and
- Understanding of good laboratory practice guidelines.
It will be a requirement for this role to have a pre-employment medical assessment.
You will also demonstrate personal attributes that are congruent with the University’s values of Integrity, Respect, Rational Inquiry and Personal Excellence.
Benefits & Remuneration
This full time fixed-term position attracts remuneration of $61,613 to $65,829 plus 9.5% University superannuation contribution.
For information on the benefits of working at ECU, please visit our Future Staff website.
Interested applicants are welcome to call Dr Claus Christophersen on 6204 5278 for more information.
How to Apply
Please upload your resume along with a statement addressing the skills and experience outlined above. Position Description attached for role context.
Applications close on SUNDAY, 25 JUNE 2017 at 9:30pm.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICATIONS WILL ONLY BE ACCEPTED FROM CANDIDATES WHO HAVE THE RELEVANT WORKING RIGHTS TO FILL THIS POSITION.
ECU is diverse and inclusive workplace reflecting the differences in society. Specific strategies and initiatives are in place to address underrepresentation of specific groups. Applications are encouraged from suitably qualified people from all backgrounds.