Full-Stack Software Engineer
Full-stack software engineer in the Research and Computing Sector (RCS) Scientific Information Service Group (SIS) Open Access Section (OA).
You will join the Research and Computing Sector, where the Scientific Information Services supports scientists at CERN and beyond to find the information they need. Our Open Access section builds and operates infrastructures to make articles and data freely available.
Together with other senior members of the team, you will be re-launching an entire new service built on modern technology (ElasticSearch, RabbitMQ, Flask, Celery, Redis, OpenStack, Docker); you will architect innovative crowd-sourcing services to allow our users to create connections across the information in our database; you will first-hand develop front-end and back-end solutions; and most important you support and mentor the junior developers at the core of the team.
As INSPIRE full-stack software engineer in the Open Access section you will:
- Manage project-wide requirements in collaboration with the product manager, articulating technical solutions, and setting priorities also in partnership with other senior team members.
- Oversee system design and architecture changes for new and existing service features.
- Take responsibility for the entire development cycle of new features: from writing specifications, prototyping and testing, through deployment in production, both orchestrating others' contribution and directly contributing code.
- Lead and coach junior software engineers to deliver and integrate specific INSPIRE components.
Master's degree in the field of Software engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Exposure to architectural patterns of a medium web application (e.g. high-availability, efficient algorithms, well-designed APIs, and security).
- Track-record with system design (relational databases, asynchronous processing, search engines).
- An understanding of front-end challenges (UI/UX, client-side application architecture).
- Familiarity with complex (open source) projects and an Agile development approach.
- Evidence of leadership of small team of junior developers.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Solution architecture.
- Porting/software integration.
- Design and selection of methods & tools.
- Technical strategy and planning.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Leading with strength and credibility.
- Learning and sharing knowledge.
- Working in teams.
- Communicating effectively.
- Achieving results.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak in professional contexts.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 25.07.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.