Design Engineer (Analogue electronics)
1 day left
- Full Time
Design Engineer (analogue electronics) in the Beams Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Hardware and Timing section (HT).
You will join:
- The Beams Department (BE), responsible for the beam production, beam and accelerator physics, beam diagnostics, radiofrequency, controls and performance optimization for the entire CERN accelerator complex including the LHC.
- The Controls Group (CO), responsible for the specification, design, procurement, integration, installation, commissioning and operation of the controls infrastructure for all CERN Accelerators, their transfer lines and the Experimental Areas.
- The Hardware and Timing Section (HT), responsible for the development, production and support of most of the BE-CO custom electronic modules. It also provides know-how for the technical choice of commercial modules to suit the needs of equipment groups in the Accelerator Sector. The section is very active in Field Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) design using Hardware Description Languages (HDL), as well as precision timing electronics such as those present in White Rabbit technology.
As Design Engineer (Analogue electronics), you will:
- Take responsibility for the design, evolution and support of hardware designs in various key components of the accelerator control system.
- Take a leading role in all activities related to analogue signal acquisition and low-noise clock distribution, including collaborations with other groups, institutes and commercial companies.
- Identify areas for improvement and propose solutions, including the adoption of new technologies.
- Collaborate with controls and data acquisition teams around CERN and support them, for the integration of standard BE-CO-HT hardware and software into complete systems.
- Participate in the operational support of all the deployed solutions in the domain of distributed controls and data acquisition hardware.
- Document and present your work as appropriate.
Master's degree in the field of electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the design of Printed Circuit Boards (PCB), including component selection, schematics entry and layout.
- Demonstrated experience in low-noise analogue circuit simulation, design, testing and debugging.
- Demonstrated experience in the design of electronics for the distribution of very stable, low-jitter clock signals.
- Experience in HDL and software development would be an advantage.
- Experience in Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) and methods to enhance would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Analog circuit design, modelling and simulation.
- Analog circuit testing and measurement techniques.
- Design of electronics for clock/timing generation, processing, distribution and recovery.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: debating at the table and engaging in constructive confrontation of ideas; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: using knowledge sharing systems and technology.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: ability to understand and speak English in professional contexts. Abilty to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations. The knowledge of the French language or the willingness to acquire this rapidly would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 24.08.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.