Graduate Life and Residential Manager – Graduate Programs
Graduate Life and Residential Manager (Live-In)– Graduate Programs
New York University Abu Dhabi (NYUAD) seeks to appoint a Graduate Life and Residential Manager reporting directly to the Assistant Vice Provost for Graduate Programs and Senior Assistant to the Provost.
The Graduate Life and Residence Manager directs all aspects of the residential programs and services for graduate students and postdoctoral associates living on campus; this is a live-in position. This position is responsible for community development, as well as the business aspects of the residences, such as unit assignments, interfacing with facilities management, housing, and responding to constituents’ concerns in addition to other administrative inputs to support the Graduate Office.
The Manager also facilitates major programs for the Global PhD Student Fellowship including Graduate Candidate Weekend and New Graduate Student Orientation. This position is responsible for all planning and logistics including coordination with campus vendors, preparing presentations and/or presenters, working with the campus travel agent to ensure attendee travel is planned and visas are obtained, and assessing programs once completed. The position interacts with Academic HR, Immigration and Finance.
Additionally, the Manager supports and conducts developmental programming for the graduate and postdoctoral populations throughout the year, as part of the Graduate and Postdoctoral Programs Office, specifically regarding future career preparation for graduate students and postdocs. This position provides the opportunity for frequent and meaningful interactions with graduate students and postdoctoral associates in a variety of settings and extensive partnerships across the University.
Note: please note that this role requires the successful candidate to live on campus.
- Directs all aspects of the residential programs and services for graduate students and postdoctoral associates living on campus including the business aspects of the residences, such as unit assignments, interfacing with facilities management, and responding to constituents’ concerns
- Responsible for community development and support for graduate students, postdoctoral associates and their families
- Facilitates major programs for the Global PhD Student Fellowship including Graduate Candidate Weekend and New Graduate Student Orientation including logistics and event management
- Supports and conducts developmental programming for the graduate and postdoctoral populations throughout the year, including presentation of sessions in areas of expertise.
- Other administrative inputs to support the Graduate Office
- Master's Degree in higher education, counseling, or college student personnel management
Required Experience and Competencies
Candidates should have demonstrated effective administrative and managerial experience in:
- At least 3-5 years' related experience within a residential education program (including program development and implementation, facility management, and staff supervision) or equivalent combination
- University residential education including counseling/advising and programming for postdoctoral associates and graduate students
- Proven ability to build and maintain relationships with multiple stakeholders for housing, facilities and finance management both at NYUAD and with NYU leadership in these areas
- Experience in managing crises effectively and collaboratively
- Ability to work collaboratively with graduate students and colleagues to advise and support students through difficult and complicated situations
- Sound judgment and the ability to make difficult and timely decisions with integrity
- Ability to utilize technology and institutional databases in the documentation of records and support of graduate students, both locally and visiting, in addition to the postdoctoral research community living in campus accommodation in A3 and A4 buildings
- Flexibility to evolve with a dynamic graduate student affairs environment
- Ability to interact effectively with faculty across all divisions to engage expertise for graduate and postdoctoral development programs
- Experience and commitment to working with an international community is essential
- An appreciation for the relationship between the academic, career development, and residence life programs at a higher education institution is essential
- Experience in program development, personal counseling/crisis intervention and prior involvement with residential building management are crucial. Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with a variety of individuals is essential
- Must be highly motivated, mature, energetic and ready to assume the responsibility for a comprehensive program; must be imaginative and creative; able to promote and motivate high enthusiasm for residence life program and establishment of a strong graduate community
- Must be able to set and meet deadlines independently, delegate responsibilities when necessary, and hold partners accountable during program planning and implementation, with a clear eye for detail and project management