Research and Instruction Librarian
Duke Kunshan University is a partnership of Duke University, Wuhan University and the Municipality of Kunshan, China (https://dukekunshan.edu.cn).
The DKU campus is 37 miles west of Shanghai in Kunshan, and is connected to Shanghai via an 18-minute high-speed train and a subway-light rail train system. DKU provides competitive compensation, benefits and start-up packages.
The Research and Instruction Librarian engages with the faculty, researchers, staff, and students of Duke Kunshan University (DKU) to identify current and emerging user needs and to deliver responsive and innovative research and instructional services. The Librarian in this position collaborates with other DKU librarians and staff to develop, provide, and promote services in support of research and teaching, informational literacy, scholarly communication, and related activities.
University Librarian, DKU
- Provides basic and in-depth reference services and research consultation to DKU faculty, students, and staff.
- In collaboration with the University Librarian and other librarians, prepares and teaches a one-credit information literacy course for undergraduate students.
- Develops and implements virtual and in-class library instruction programs and workshops.
- Creates and maintains instructional materials and research guides, using appropriate learning management software, content management systems, online and mobile learning tools, new media production tools, and geospatial/data visualization information systems.
- Serves as a library liaison and actively builds professional relationships with faculty, students, and staff in assigned academic programs and across the University to develop research and instructional service strategies.
- Selects and manages collections in support of research and teaching needs of faculty and students of assigned academic programs.
- Trains and supervises staff in research and instruction services.
- Represents the Library on relevant university or program committees.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- University employees' job responsibilities will continue to expand in scope and depth as the University grows in size and complexity in its programs.
- Supervises staff and student assistants, as needed, to provide instruction and research services.
- At least three years’ professional library work experience in an academic setting.
- Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program or international equivalent in library and information science.
- Demonstrated commitment to high-quality user experience and customer service.
- Experience in planning and/or providing information literacy instruction or other teaching experience.
- Experience using information technologies in the delivery of reference and instruction.
- Experience with staff functions of an integrated library system or discovery layer.
- Excellent in oral and written communication skills in English.
- Demonstrated ability to work well independently and as a team member.
- Excellent communication, planning, problem-solving, and analytical skills.
- Knowledge of current and emerging trends, issues, and methods of access and discovery to scholarly resources.
- Knowledge of information literacy/organization trends, practices, and issues.
- Demonstrated abilities in research, scholarly work, and professional services.
- Seven years’ professional library work experience including two years in a Western academic setting.
- Experience working with international students.
- Experience with collection development.
- Ability to manage and oversee projects in a team environment and communicate complex issues and perspectives across a global network.
- An academic degree or subject background in science field.
- Experience hiring, training, mentoring, and supervising staff/student workers.
- Fluency in oral and written Chinese.
- Demonstrated evidences in research and scholarly work.
How to apply:
Duke Kunshan University requests from all applicants a curriculum vitae, a cover letter, and the name and contact information for three references. The materials should be submitted to DKUrecruitment@dukekunshan.edu.cn. Priority will be given to applications received by June 30, 2017 and applications will continue to be reviewed until the position is filled.
As an international intellectual community that encourages diversity, openness and creative learning, DKU welcomes outstanding faculty from around the world who contribute diverse perspectives and experiences to a global learning and research environment. DKU particularly welcomes applications from underrepresented groups and minorities.