Controls and Automation Technician
Automation Technician in the Technology Department (TE), Cryogenics Group (CRG), Controls Electricity Section (CE).
The Cryogenics (TE-CRG) Group is in charge of the design, construction, commissioning and operation of the cryogenic systems for CERN accelerators and detectors, of the operation, maintenance and upgrade of cryogenic test facilities as well as of the management of the industrial support contract for maintenance and operation of cryogenic systems. It also provides support for low-temperature developments and tests at the Central Cryogenic Laboratory as well as consultancy and support in cryogenic design and cryogenic instrumentation.
Within the CRG group, the Controls and Electricity (CE) Section is responsible for providing the controls and the electrical support for the cryogenic equipment. Controls systems include:
- Programmable logic controllers that pilot various cryogenic equipment's such as electrical motors for helium compressors, turbines, valves and electrical heaters.
- Industrial instrumentation for various signals such as pressure, temperature, flow transmitter and level gauges
- Several electrical low tension cabinet installed all over CERN.
- An extensive and distributed SCADA system for local and remote supervision.
- A collaborative direct support to the cryogenics operators (technicians and engineers) for fault diagnostic and optimization of thermo-dynamic processes.
As an Automation Technician Specialist in the field of control automation and low tension electricity, you will be a member of a multidisciplinary team in the Control and Electricity Section (CE). After an initial period of training you will take on responsibility for the design, construction, implementation, configuration and support of process-control equipment dedicated to new or existing cryogenic systems at CERN. The scope of this activity includes both new projects as well as the consolidation and the renovation of the controls parts and electrical system of the existing installations.
- Participate in the first line support, maintenance and in the upgrade of existing cryogenic process control systems. These tasks are in the domains of SCADA and PLC software, PLC front-end hardware, and electrical equipment.
- Develop, construct, install and commission electrical systems associated to controls equipment for large cryogenic plants.
- Organize the consolidations, emergency fault detection and repairs, and intervene as member of a stand-by duty team.
- Manage the corresponding technical documentation.
The work requires collaboration with persons and services inside and outside the Organization.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electricity, electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in industrial control PLC programming and use of Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA).
- Demonstrated experience in support and maintenance of complex automated electromechanical installations.
- Proven experience in the design, construction, installation and commissioning of large highly automated electromechanical installations.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Configuration and programming of PLC and fieldbus system / Programming of PLCs.
- Configuration, programming and use of Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems.
- Testing: testing procedures (factory and site acceptance tests).
- Application support: support and maintenance of complex automated installations.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change; adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; being willing to move from one Project/Group/Department to another.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; remaining objective, focused and productive in a stressful environment; focusing on solutions rather than problems.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities; cooperating constructively with others in the pursuit of team goals; balancing personal goals with team goals.
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customers' needs.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer; seeking feedback from colleagues and other stakeholders about ways of increasing competence.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.