Director of the Centre for Academic English
The School of Humanities and Social Sciences at Nazarbayev University invites applications for a Director of the Center for Academic English.
The School currently hosts a successful Writing Center with plans to expand its scope to serve undergraduate and graduate students across the university. We are recruiting a Director who will be responsible for overseeing operations of the current Writing Center while also taking a lead role in the planning, development, direction, and oversight of the unit in preparation for a substantially expanded role. The Writing Center currently includes 10 faculty members who offer required and elective courses in Writing and Communications and who also support students across the university in appointment-based tutoring. The University plans to expand the program to offer more required writing courses in University-wide core curriculum and to increase the number of students supported through tutoring.
The successful candidate will be a highly skilled educator and administrator with extensive experience in international settings and a commitment to academic quality. She or he will be able to work with diverse team of faculty and administrators and exhibit effective leadership in support of program goals, the vision of the School, and the mission of the University. Experience in curriculum design, faculty recruitment and development, and strategic planning are critical for this position as well as a clear understanding of pedagogical challenges of Writing and Communications instruction in a foreign language environment.
The Director’s responsibilities include:
- Working closely with program coordinators and strategic partners to strengthen and expand the reach of the Writing Center, Writing Across the Curriculum, and Writing Fellows programs as core components of a broader writing program
- Collaborating with School and University administrators to develop the Center within existing institutional parameters to best serve students and faculty across Schools
- Communicating with faculty across the university to develop discipline specific writing and communication courses
- Establishing best practices for the delivery, evaluation, and revision of courses and programs
- Hiring, training, and supervising a large team of instructors, and coordinators
- Facilitating opportunities for faculty professional development
- Teaching one course per semester
- Participating in opportunities for School and University service
- Promoting the integration of the Writing Center within the university community
- MA in Applied Linguistics, Composition and Rhetoric, Educational Management, or similar
- Minimum five years educational administration experience including program evaluation and assessment
- Minimum five years teaching experience of ESL/EFL students in tertiary programs
- Substantial experience with curriculum development and revision
- Demonstrated commitment to professional development
- Experience organizing and providing professional development for instructors (class observations and feedback, mentoring, presentations, coaching for the development of professional profiles)
- Excellent interpersonal and intercultural communication skills
- Experience and appreciation for working and living abroad
- Ability to be flexible within developing institutional cultures
Applicants should submit a letter of motivation outlining their guiding philosophy of directing and teaching, their personal qualities and suitability for the job together with a current CV and recommendations from three referees to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position is open until filled, but for fullest consideration, applications should be received by 20 May 2017.
Nazarbayev University was launched in 2010 as a premier national and regional university, partnering with some of the most internationally recognized names in higher education. The School of Humanities and Social Sciences’ (SHSS) partner is the University of Wisconsin-Madison. Admission to NU is highly competitive, and the student body is selected from the top high schools throughout the country and region. SHSS programs emphasize student-oriented learning, with small class sizes and a student-to-faculty ratio of less than 10:1.
Nazarbayev University offers an attractive benefits package, including competitive compensation; housing based on family size and rank; relocation allowance; air tickets to home country, twice per year; no-cost medical insurance, with global coverage; educational allowance for children.
Apply for Director of the Centre for Academic English
Already uploaded your CV? Sign in to apply instantly