Electrical technician in the Engineering Department (EN), Alignment, Coordination & Engineering group (ACE), Coordination, Consignation, Safety section (COS).
As part of the coordination team of the EN-ACE group, you will be in charge of coordinating the electrical « lock-in/lock-out » for the LHC machine during programmed stops, and assisting the team leader with worksite coordination.
You will join:
- The Engineering Department which provides CERN with the engineering competences, infrastructure systems and technical coordination required for the design, installation, operation, maintenance and dismantling phases of the CERN accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The EN-ACE Group, responsible for: providing overarching project coordination, work and safety for the accelerator complex; providing support and expertise in matters relating to projects, risks and quality management as well as organizational processes; developing and supporting the Organization's engineering, equipment data, maintenance of management tools and mechanical CAD systems; the metrology and alignment of the accelerators
- The COS section within the ACE group, which is responsible for operational safety, worksite coordination and organization of the electrical "lock-in/lock-out" for the LHC machine.
In alignment with the lifecycle of the LHC, this position requires you will organise, execute and coordinate the "lock-in/lock out". This involve the following functions:
- Coordinate the electrical « lock-in/lock-out » for the LHC machine during programmed stops in partnership with the different stakeholders and in particular with the planning team. This activity requires the knowledge of low voltage electrical distribution networks, the preparation of adequate procedures in order to execute or request "lock-in/lock-out" to ensure the grounding and the delivery of "work authorizations".
- Assist the Section Leader in the coordination of worksites, in particular to ensure the respect of CERN safety rules and instructions by both CERN staff and external contractors.
- During the course of the contract, you will be trained to analyse integration drawings of new projects to advice on best possible configurations from safety point of view.
Higher technical diploma in the field of of electricity, or equivalent professional experience.
National certification would be an asset.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Relevant experience in low-voltage electricity.
- Proven experience with electrical lockout.
- Demonstrated experience in logistics, organization and supervision of complex work.
- Previous experience in the coordination of work with external companies and the preparation of technical documentation.
- Previous experience on equipment related to particle accelerators would be an asset.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Organisation, planning and control: basic knowledge of Microsoft project.
- 3D & 2D technical drawing: basic knowledge.
- Commissioning, maintenance and operation of electrical distribution systems related to "lock-in/lock-out".
- Knowledge of personal protective equipment.
- Knowledge of low and high voltage electrical installations.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: acknowledging the contribution of colleagues; recognizing their limitations and offering support to overcome their difficulties; building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Bringing the best out of people: creating a common mind-set and promoting team spirit.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively.
- Solving problems: anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan; Identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 21.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require :
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.