Research Assistant - UNSW Medicine
- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
The Kirby Institute is the major research body in Australia with responsibility for research into the clinical and epidemiological aspects of HIV/AIDS. It is also responsible for research into the clinical and epidemiological aspects of other blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections, in particular Viral Hepatitis.
About the role
- $81K-$86K plus (9.5% superannuation and leave loading)
- Fixed Term for 1 year
- Part-time (21 hours per week)
The Research Assistant will be responsible for the conduct of various molecular assays, tissue culture and lymphocyte purification assessing the ability of si/shRNAs to suppress HIV in vitro and in vivo. This position will also be responsible for constructing and expanding various delivery constructs such as retroviruses and nanoparticles. The Research Assistant will work closely with a senior research fellow and the program head of the IVPP to ensure the successful and timely completion of these laboratory based assays. The Research Assistant will be located at the Kirby Institute but may need to work from time to time at St Vincent’s Centre for Applied Medical Research at Darlinghurst.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will:
- Extensive experience of working with HIV and retroviral delivery constructs for the delivery of shRNAs;
- Experience with working in PC3 containment environment
- BSc with extensive experience molecular biology , especially quantification of HIV RNA and DNA species
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Dr Chantelle Ahlenstiel
T: (61 2) 9385 0900
Applications close: 2 May 2017