Full Professor in Electrical Power Engineering / Electrical and Electronics Engineering
Universiti Tenaga Nasional, College of Engineering
Universiti Tenaga Nasional (UNITEN) is wholly-owned by the Malaysian national power utility, Tenaga Nasional Berhad (TNB at www.tnb.com.my) and consists of five colleges. The College of Engineering is by far the largest and consists of four departments offering five accredited undergraduate engineering programmes at Bachelor Level. UNITEN also offers postgraduate programmes in engineering, business and information technology. Our vision is to become a leading global energy university that shapes a sustainable future. Our mission is to advance knowledge and learning experience through research and innovation that will best serve human society.
UNITEN is celebrating our 20th anniversary this year. With strong financial support from TNB, we recently launched our new strategic plan, called BOLD2025 (Building Opportunities, Living Dreams 2025) and Research Roadmap. Some of the key strategic goals include achieving a six-star rating under the Malaysian Research Assessment Instrument (MyRA), to improve our university ranking to Top 200 by 2020 and to be in the top 150 ranked universities in the area of Electrical & Electronics Engineering.
As part of the strategic goals, we welcome applications for a position as full Professor in Electrical Power Engineering or Electrical & Electronics Engineering to come on-board on a full-time contract basis for a minimum of three years. We are looking for a strong academic leader with a visionary research outlook to provide structured guidance and mentorship for our young academicians to achieve our full research leadership potential and link UNITEN with other leading institutions internationally.
The subject area for this position can be either in Electrical Power Engineering or Electrical & Electronics Engineering. The successful candidate will have an important role and large freedom in developing the research in the area of Electrical Power Engineering or Electrical & Electronics Engineering at UNITEN, with support from our current young and energetic academicians.
The position includes conducting research as well as research-informed teaching and supervision at postgraduate level. Duties also include providing structured guidance and mentorship to our existing researchers to secure international research grants and publishing top quality journal papers as well as linking UNITEN with industry and other leading institutions internationally. The location of employment is at UNITEN’s vibrant campus in Putrajaya, Malaysia.
The position comes with a reward package that includes a competitive salary, annual leave entitlements, research start-up grant, laboratory start-up allowance, post-doctoral and postgraduate student support. There is also ample opportunity to access research grants from TNB and leverage on TNB’s facilities in its other subsidiaries such as TNB Research as well as TNB’s link in the Heads of ASEAN Power Utilities/Authorities (HAPUA), a recognized electricity organization in Southeast Asia region.
To qualify for an appointment as professor, the candidate must provide documentation to demonstrate scientific skills and successful research outputs in the last 5 years. Further, administrative, leadership qualities and the ability to initiate collaborations outside of academia will be evaluated.
Scientific skills refer to the area of Electrical Power Engineering or Electrical & Electronics Engineering demonstrating:
- ability to competitively obtain research funding locally and internationally,
- ability to independently plan, organize, lead and manage projects, which include the ability to develop and lead personnel,
- ability to actively produce scientific publications in internationally well-respected scientific journals
- ability to develop new methods and apply them to new problems,
- ability to collaborate with other national and international research groups,
- ability to initiate interdisciplinary collaborations, and
- ability to communicate research to a wider community and the general public.
- ability to supervise at postgraduate level and to have supervised at least five doctoral students to doctorate,
A high level of proficiency in both spoken and written English is a requirement.
In the selection of candidates, particular emphasis will be put on the degree of scientific expertise in the area of the area of Electrical Power Engineering or Electrical & Electronics Engineering. The ability to develop and lead personnel in research activities together with the ability to initiate collaborations outside of academia are also factors which will be key criteria in the selection process. Documented ability to competitively obtain research funding and to produce scientific work published in internationally well-respected scientific journals are also important.
The application should include:
- A cover letter, including contact information.
- A CV containing academic and professional qualifications.
- A complete list of scientific publications including bibliometric data.
- Copies of at most ten relevant publications, numbered according to the list of publications.
- Account of research experiences, preferably structured according to the previous description.
- A research plan describing the research you want to pursue within the employment (maximum 5 pages).
- Account of teaching experiences.
- Account of development and leadership of activities and staff.
- Account of industry collaborations and collaborations with other institutions of higher learning or research institutions.
- Account of post-doctoral and postgraduate supervision.
- Account of dissemination of research and development, as well as interaction with the surrounding community.
- Account of administrative activities.
- Certified copies of relevant diplomas, grades and degree certificates.
- Contact information of two reference persons.
The application, preferably written in English, is to be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org before the closing deadline of this advertisement.