Junior Full Stack Web Developer
CSU Online, under the Division of Continuing Education (DCE), seeks a full stack junior web developer with a keen enthusiasm for web development technologies to join a small development team with big ideas. A positive attitude and aptitude for the challenges involved in both front- and back-end development are preferred over extensive experience. This position is an ideal fit for entry-level developers looking to start their careers in web development or increase their technology and development skill set; graduates and first-time applicants welcome.
This position plays a key role developing and maintaining websites, applications, and middleware solutions throughout the organization. The ideal candidate for this position possesses an avid interest in web technologies. Candidates who work on web projects for fun and enjoy exploring new technologies, frameworks and approaches will be a good fit for this position. The candidate should be self-motivated and be able to translate the needs of the organization into elegant web solutions. The right candidate will contribute to a dynamic environment and work closely with other members of the Research & Analytics team, which includes database engineers, web and applications developers, instructional designers, and learning analysts, to develop cutting-edge solutions for web applications, Learning Technology Interoperability (LTI) applications for Canvas, academic and learning analytics, and digital reporting tools. Reflecting departmental and institutional values, the successful candidate is expected to advance CSU commitment to diversity and inclusion.
This Junior Web Developer position reports to the Lead Web Developer and is part of the Research & Analytics unit of the Division of Continuing Education (DCE), with the Office of Engagement at Colorado State University. This position will work collaboratively within the Web team to improve DCE’s web site and carry out and support operations.
Required Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university, and at least 2 years’ professional experience in the following OR a Bachelor’s degree in a closely related field (for example, Computer Science, Computer Information Systems, or Computer intensive STEM degree, etc.), and at least 1 year of experience in the following:
- HTML5, CSS3, and troubleshooting development issues across browsers and platforms.
- Using an object-oriented programming language for back-end development.
- Excellent written communication skills
Preferred Job Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer information systems, or a closely-related technical field.
- Experience with the .NET framework with C# and Visual Studio
- Experience with CSS preprocessors (e.g. Sass, LESS)
- Experience developing for content management systems (e.g. dotCMS, WordPress)
- Experience with Java for web development (Apache Tomcat, Servlets, Struts etc.)
- Experience collaborating with a marketing team to support different practices and strategies.
- Experience building accessible websites that meet the most current version of the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) published by the W3C.
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Evidence of the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and projects from start to finish
- Evidence of solid understanding of web best practices, including web standards, usability, accessibility, and user experience principles
- User interfaces and interactive deliverables that perform well both on mainstream devices and with assistive technology
- Semantic and ARIA mark-up elements
- Product accessibility testing continuously through all development stages
- Troubleshooting, revising, and updating websites encumbered by legacy code accessibility constraints
Reflecting departmental and institutional values, candidates are expected to have the ability to advance the Department’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
Job Duty Category
- Develop and implement high-quality software solutions on both the front- and back-end;
- Develop innovative middleware solutions;
- Build new capabilities and features for the content management system;
- Write unit tests and take part in code reviews as part of the software development life-cycle;
- Implement A/B and multi-variant testing capabilities to assist the CSU Online Marketing Team in increasing conversions;
- Collaborate with other departmental teams to create web solutions that support and improve business operations;
- Implement and improve capabilities to track and evaluate user behavior; and,
- Other duties as assigned.
Percentage Of Time
Job Duty Category
- Take ownership of issues and enhancements throughout the infrastructure; and,
- Provide friendly, timely first-tier support to partnering business units regarding web coding and application tickets.
Percentage Of Time
Special Instructions to Applicants
References will not be contacted without prior notification of candidates.
Conditions of Employment
Pre-employment Criminal Background Check (required for new hires)
Dave Johnson firstname.lastname@example.org
Colorado State University is committed to providing an environment that is free from discrimination and harassment based on race, age, creed, color, religion, national origin or ancestry, sex, gender, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or pregnancy and will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. Colorado State University is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and Colorado State laws, regulations, and executive orders regarding non-discrimination and affirmative action. The Office of Equal Opportunity is located in 101 Student Services.
Background Check Policy Statement
Colorado State University (CSU) strives to provide a safe study, work, and living environment for its faculty, staff, volunteers and students. To support this environment and comply with applicable laws and regulations, CSU conducts background checks. The type of background check conducted varies by position and can include, but is not limited to, criminal (felony and misdemeanor) history, sex offender registry, motor vehicle history, financial history, and/or education verification. Background checks will be conducted when required by law or contract and when, in the discretion of the university, it is reasonable and prudent to do so.