Work Supervisor/Superviseur de travaux
Work Supervisor in the Site Management and Building department (SMB), Site engineering group (SE), Civil Engineering and Buildings (CEB) section.
You will join:
- The Site Engineering Group (SE), which builds and maintains the Organization's sites (two main sites and 15 satellite sites), buildings (more than 500, totalling a usable surface area of 500,000 m2) and underground structures (over 60 km of machine tunnels and service tunnels). The group's responsibilities cover all phases of a project, from the preliminary design study to the completion of construction. The group also remains responsible for the infrastructures throughout their life cycles.
- The Civil Engineering and Buildings (CEB) Section (part of the SE Group), which is responsible for organising, coordinating and supervising the execution of work related to buildings and civil engineering infrastructures. The activities managed by the section cover the building of new structures, maintenance and renovation. Around 20 people, including architects, engineers and construction technicians, are employed in the section.
As Work Supervisor, you will work both autonomously and in support of project leaders. You will be assigned mainly to the coordination of interior renovation work on industrial and tertiary buildings (70% of your working time) and for work relating to civil-engineering structures (30%).
Your duties will include:
- Coordinating various building trades.
- The day-to-day supervision of contractors on site.
- Supervising execution schedules and monitoring budgets, including verification of quotations, revised bills of quantities and invoices.
- Checking that work is carried out in compliance with technical specifications and good trade practice.
- Checking that safety rules are followed on the worksite.
- Daily reporting on the activities supervised.
Technical certificate in the field of construction or professional experience deemed to be equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Experience in supervising renovation work, ideally within occupied premises.
- Experience in supervising building renovation work in a construction firm would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Organisation, planning and control.
- Use of Office software packages; mainly Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Concrete structure construction.
- Industrial and tertiary building construction.
- Construction cost control.
- Experience of implementing a quality assurance plan in the framework of supervising the execution of work.
- Excellent knowledge of the safety rules applicable to construction worksites.
- Knowledge of technical standards for construction work and structural design (SIA standards, Eurocodes, DTU, etc.).
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: being rigorous and producing quality results at first attempt.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
The language competencies required are:
- Good knowledge of English or French, basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 14.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite contract.
These functions require:
- Work in radiation controlled areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence is required.