Senior Technician - Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences
School of Biomedical Sciences
- Exciting opportunity to join a dynamic multi-disciplinary technical team
- Part-time (45 hours per fortnight) ongoing opportunity
- Salary range: Level 5 or 6: $67,114 - $81,629
The University of Western Australia (UWA) is ranked amongst the top 100 universities in the world and a member of the prestigious Australian Group of Eight research-intensive universities. With an enviable research track record, vibrant campus and working environments, supported by the freedom to 'innovate and inspire' there is no better time to join Western Australia's top University.
The Technical Services team is responsible for providing extensive support for teaching and research to the academic and research staff in the Faculty. The team provides a wide array of specific technical support, and is responsible for the development and implementation of safe systems of work in laboratory spaces. Staff work autonomously as well as collaboratively in shared teaching spaces to deliver laboratory teaching content across the various biomedical sciences.
About the opportunity:
The Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences Technical Services team is seeking a motivated and innovative person to assist in the organisation and delivery of the laboratory teaching requirements initially within the School of Biomedical Sciences. They will liaise with Unit Coordinators and others to ensure the efficient provision of teaching in both wet, dry and e-learning laboratories for undergraduate and postgraduate courses. The applicant will work independently as well as collaboratively within a team in a busy and stimulating environment whilst maintaining safe work practices.
This position is based at the QEII Medical Centre.
To be considered for this role, you will demonstrate:
- Experience in animal handling, and ability to demonstrate these skills to students
- Experience in pharmacological techniques at an appropriate level
- Highly developed written and verbal communication skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in biological and chemical safety
- Ability to work independently or as part of a team and to show initiative to develop new skills
- Ability to problem solve in challenging situations whilst maintaining attention to details
Full details of the position's responsibilities and the selection criteria are outlined in the position description and applicants should clearly demonstrate they meet the selection criteria.
You will possess a degree with a major in Pharmacology or demonstrated equivalent competency with substantial experience in biological science laboratory work, as well as experience with animal handling. With your excellent organisational and communication skills, you will be open to new challenges, ready to learn new things and be committed to producing the highest standards of service with a strong focus on delivering an exceptional student experience.
Closing date: 30 April 2017
This position is only open to applicants with relevant rights to work in Australia.
Application Details: Please apply online via the Apply Now button.
Please see the position description prior to applying:
POSITION DESCRIPTION Senior Technician - Position Number 316293 - Level 56.docx
- UWA has been awarded Top Ten Employer for LGBTI – inclusion the Australian Workplace Equity Index (AWEI -2016).
- The University is also a proud member of the Athena SWAN/SAGE Pilot for Gender Equity.