Lecturer in Computing and Information Technology
Faculty of Engineering & Built Environment
School of Electrical Engineering and Computing
Job Ref No: 3301
Built on the principles of equity, excellence and engagement, the University of Newcastle (UON) has a reputation as a world-class institution making an impact within our regions, throughout Australia and across the globe. This is an exciting time to be part of the University of Newcastle as we embark on our NeW Futures Strategic Plan 2016-2025. We are building on strong foundations to realise our 2025 vision to stand as a global leader, distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence, creating a better future for our regions through innovation and impact. Being part of a university on the move gives our people the opportunity to really make a mark in their chosen field.
The Faculty of Engineering and Built Environment (FEBE) has invested significantly in its disciplines, recently forming the School of Electrical Engineering and Computing. The School brings together the University's suite of Electrical Engineering and Computing programs and staff to facilitate cross-disciplinary collaboration, identify opportunities for innovation, and deliver programs that are aligned with student demand and contemporary labour force trends.
About the role
To deliver teaching, research and innovation in the field of Computing and Information Technology and its engagement with industry. The Lecturer supports the School of Electrical Engineering and Computing by taking advantage of opportunities and developments in the field of Computing to position the School as a leader in this field. The Lecturer also contributes to the delivery of the University's Strategic Plan.
Specifically, you will:
- Establish a record of outputs/creative works in high quality refereed journals/outlets consistent with the discipline and thematic areas;
- Take an active role in grant applications and provide evidence of emerging national and international recognition in one's field of expertise;
- Be an active participant in research collaborations, networks and/or partnerships, delivering outputs in alignment with the School's research themes;
- Deliver educational leadership in Teaching and Learning at the course level and contribute to the program level;
- Maintain membership of professional associations/industry networks and build partnerships with High Schools and industry/business enterprises.
Skills and experience
To be successful in this role, you will have:
- A PhD in Computing or Information Systems or equivalent relevant field, combined with demonstrated experience in the application of in business or industry;
- Demonstrated experience in aligning personal and organisational research strategies, obtaining research funding and producing research outputs;
- Demonstrated experience in the interdisciplinary development, delivery and review of courses and programs;
- Highly developed communication and interpersonal skills;
- Willingness and ability to contribute to governance, organisational administration (including course administration) and initiatives/activities within the University.
Please note: In accordance with the University's Staff Selection Guidelines, your application will be assessed on the selection criteria found at the link below. It is essential that you address each of the criteria to enable the selection committee to properly assess your application and suitability for interview.
Academic Level B – $95,351 to $113,231 per annum plus contributory superannuation with Unisuper, attracting a generous employer contribution of 17%.
UON provides leadership, innovation and inspiration to our staff, students and the broader community in environmental sustainability and we are committed to health, safety, well-being and careers of our students and staff. UON is an EEO employer.
Applications close: Wednesday 10 May 2017
For more information about the position including selection criteria please click the 'Apply for this job' button below or go to
newcastle.edu.au/job-vacancies THE UNIVERSITY OF NEWCASTLE
VALUES EQUITY AND DIVERSITY