Power Electronics Technician
Electrical Technician / Power Electronics Technician in the CERN Technology Department (TE), Electrical Power Converter Group (EPC).
You will join:
- The Electrical Power Converter Group (TE-EPC), responsible for the power converters for the CERN particle accelerator complex. The mandate of the group covers the operation and maintenance of several thousand power converters in the range between 10 kW and 100 MW, as well as developments for challenging new projects.
As an Electrical Technician / Power Electronics Technician you will participate in the design, construction, commissioning, operation and maintenance of power converters. We will hire three technicians for different sections, who will:
- Participate in the development, construction and installation of power converters.
- Prepare, during the design phase, the electrical circuit diagrams and 2D & 3D mechanical integration drawings.
- Participate in the reception tests of power converters, or even in their commissioning on the CERN site.
- Assure the operation and maintenance of power converters.
- Participate in our stand-by service, for fault finding and corrective interventions.
Higher technical diploma in the field of electricity, electronics, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
Please note that we are looking for three slightly different profiles in this Vacancy Notice, therefore not meeting all listed criteria will not be a reason for disqualification.
The following experience would be an advantage:
- Initial experience in the installation, testing, operation and/or maintenance of electric power equipment in the range between 1 kW and 100 MW.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Electro-mechanical construction: use of cad tools for circuit diagrams and 2d & 3d technical drawings.
- Commissioning, maintenance & operation of power systems.
- Design of electronics for analogue sensors and transducers.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Achieving results: delivering high quality work on time and fulfilling expectations.
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Communicating effectively: ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Demonstrating flexibility: readily accepting new tasks or work/projects.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: basic knowledge of the other language or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 10.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in Radiation Areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.