Posting Number 16672SP Division/Department Athenaeum Laboratory Work Location (City, State or Country) Pasadena, Ca. Job Category Fulltime Regular If position is part-time, how many hours per week? If position is temporary, is it less than 3 months? Benefits Eligible? Yes Relocation Available? No Emergency Reporting Designation? Essential Non-Reporting Number of Vacancies 2 Desired Employment Start Date Position End Date (if temporary) Anticipated Salary Range Depending on skills and experience
The Athenaeum at Caltech is a very exciting and beautiful place to work, with its private club/country club environment and its upscale Hotel. The Athenaeum Cook is a regular full-time position that includes excellent medical benefits, holiday pay, vacation pay, excellent retirement benefits and much more.
For more information on The Athenaeum, please visit The Athenaeum’s website https://www.athenaeumcaltech.com/
For Caltech information, please visit Caltech at a Glance: http://www.caltech.edu/content/caltech-glance
Under general supervision on semi-routine assignments where a fair amount of judgment is required in identifying and resolving moderately complex problems, prepares and cooks standard or specialty food items. Performs set-up and sanitation of cooking areas, assists in menu development, and conducts inventories and stocking of supplies and ingredients. Performs work in accordance with Institute and regulatory agencies safety standards and practices.
- Prepares and cooks meats, fish, vegetables, gravies, sauces, cereal, soups, fruits, bakery products and other foods according to recipes or member orders.
- Prepares and cooks food for special diets, special events, or as assigned from recipes formulated by qualified personnel. May prepare special gourmet food in high volume.
- Maintains appropriate cooking temperatures by recording measurements according to protocol.
- Cleans and sanitizes work areas and equipment according to protocol; deep-cleans equipment and work areas per schedule. Insures ServSafe compliance in assigned work area and/or kitchen.
- Checks in food and supplies and uses First In First Out (FIFO) method when using food. Maintains food production records. Notifies supervisor of foods and supplies needed. Unpacks deliveries and restocks work areas.
- Prepares list of items needed for next day according to menu offerings.
- Sets up food stations according to protocol.
- May be required to cook specialty/ethnic food items.
- May be assigned to storage equipment cleaning responsibilities.
- Performs other related duties and responsibilities as required or assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must have a minimum of 2 years cooking experience or 1 year cooking experience and 1 year culinary education.
- Must be able to follow and maintain maximum standards of ServSafe sanitation and safety to ensure the highest standards for food and beverage service.
- Must have a California Food Handlers Card or the ability to obtain one within 30 days.
- The selected candidate must have the ability to carry a minimum of 50 pounds of cooking utensils, cooking pots, cooking supplies and cooking ingredients repetitively throughout the day and be able to stand while working up to 8 hours per day.
- Must be able to read, write and follow instructions in English.
- Must have the ability to perform basic mathematics: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentage conversion to decimals and count, as related to calculating or converting units of measure for determining proper amounts of food ingredients for large food production.
- 3 or more years of Cook experience is a plus.
- 3 or more years of culinary experience in high-end dining facility preferred.
Supervisory position? No Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 04/10/2017 Posting Close Date Open Until Filled Yes EEO Statement
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants Supplemental Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a minimum of 2 years cooking experience or 1 year cooking experience and 1 year culinary education?
- * Do you have a California Food Handlers Card or the ability to obtain one within 30 days?
- * Do you have the ability to carry a minimum of 50 pounds of cooking utensils, cooking pots, cooking supplies and cooking ingredients repetitively throughout the day and be able to stand while working up to 8 hours per day?
- * Do you have the ability to perform basic mathematics: addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and percentage conversion to decimals and count, as related to calculating or converting units of measure for determining proper amounts of food ingredients for large food production?
Documents Needed to Apply Required Documents