Professor of Twentieth-Century European History
Leiden University, Faculty of Humanities, Institute for History (LUIH) is looking for a:
Professor of Twentieth-Century European History (1.0 fte)
Vacancy number 17-089
The Faculty of Humanities invites applications for a professorial chair in European History, with a focus on the second half of the twentieth century.
The successful applicant for this post:
- Plays a leading role in (re)developing the research programme Political Culture and National Identity;
- Uses her/his wide-ranging research experience to (co-)supervise doctoral research across the field of European history;
- Teaches students in the BA and MA programmes in History, and in the doctoral programme. A tertiary teaching qualification (BKO or equivalent) is expected;
- Develops ambitious research projects, writes national and international grant proposals, and support colleagues in developing theirs;
- Plays an active, engaged, and integrating role in the General History section of the LUIH;
- Has a management responsibility for part of the staff in the section;
- Is willing and able to undertake administrative, managerial and governance tasks in the institute, the faculty and the university;
- Has an excellent command of English, as well as some other European languages. If the successful applicant is not Dutch-speaking, she/he is expected to acquire a good command of Dutch within two years, so as to be able to teach in the BA. The administrative language of Leiden University is Dutch;
- Is willing and able to be present in Leiden throughout the academic year.
- You are a historian of international repute (F/M), with an excellent track record of research and publication regarding the history of twentieth-century Europe, preferably post 1945;
- Wide-ranging expertise in cultural, political or socio-political history. Preference may be given to applicants with (comparative) research experience in different European countries, and a global perspective;
- An experienced, committed and inspiring academic teacher, with clear ideas on teaching methods and curriculum development
- A team player with a demonstrable interest and experience in academic leadership, administration and governance
- Experience and success in obtaining research funding, and in helping others to do so.
- A scholar with an extensive international academic network and collaborations
For more information about the vacancy look at http://werkenbij.leidenuniv.nl/vacatures/wetenschappelijke-functies/17-089.html