Full/Associate Research Professor in Gulf Energy and Economics – Research Coordinator
Centre for Gulf Studies
Qatar University Profile:
Qatar University is the national institution of higher education in Qatar. It provides high quality undergraduate and graduate programs that prepare competent graduates, destined to shape the future of Qatar. The university community has diverse and committed faculty that teaches and conduct research, which addresses relevant local and regional challenges, advances knowledge, and contributes actively to the needs and aspirations of society.
Qatar University is an intellectual and scholarly community characterized by open discussion, the free exchange of ideas, respectful debate, and a commitment to rigorous inquiry. All members of the University - faculty, staff, and students- are expected to advance the scholarly and social values embodied by the university.
The College of Arts and Sciences(CAS) houses eleven departments, covering a wide range of undergraduate specializations in the Arts and Sciences including English Literature & Linguistics and Arabic Language, Humanities, Sociology, Social Work, Psychology, International Affairs, Policy, Planning & Development, Statistics, Chemistry, Mass Communication, Biological Sciences, Environmental Sciences, Material Science, and Sports Science. The College also houses five graduate programs in Environmental Sciences, Gulf Studies, Material Science, statistics, and Arabic Language. Additionally, the College offers a Program of Arabic for Non- Native Speakers. Also, the newly established three research centers namely Center for Social Science and Humanities, Center for Sustainable Development, and Gulf Studies Center.
It is worth mentioning that as members of QU, CAS faculty members have excellent opportunities to secure intramural and extramural funding for their research ideas. Qatar National Research Fund (QNRF) is major source of research funding, with individual project funding limit exceeding 1 million/project(5 million exceptional projects) along with student research funding programs. As the national and largest University in the country, Qatar University is the recipient of most of QNRF awards, with many research- active faculty members able to win multiple grants.
The College of Arts and Sciences at Qatar University, invites applications for a post of Coordinator of Research Program on Economics and Energy at the newly established Gulf Research Center.
The main objectives of the Center are:
- To provide a Centre of international excellence for multidisciplinary academic research on the Gulf region.
- To provide a forum for scholarship and academic research, to foster interdisciplinary Gulf studies and promote scholarly interest in the region among researchers and especially young graduates with the aim of building local capacity within Qatar University.
- To stimulate and advance education and research on a broad range of political, economic, social, environmental, and security issues and other matters relating to the Gulf region, its immediate neighbourhood and its global strategic relations.
- To foster thoughtful dialogue among students, scholars and practitioners of Gulf affairs and to facilitate the free flow of ideas and knowledge through publication and dissemination of related information.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Essential duties and responsibilities include the following:
- Help establish and manage an interdisciplinary research program and create research agendas on Energy and Economics in the Gulf region.
- Employ innovative tools of interdisciplinary research in the field of Energy and Economics in the Gulf region.
- Develop and create research environment and hold workshops, seminars and conferences for that effect.
- Augment the dissemination of research output through publication with international standards
- Attract and cooperate with local, regional and international researchers and research bodies in the subject area.
- Create collaborative research environment and enhance academic cooperation within the college, the university and the wider research community.
- Full or Associate Professor with PhD in the field of Energy or Economic with relevance to the Gulf region.
- A track record in successful academic research leadership and publication.
- An ability to create research programs and research agendas and a demonstrative record of raising research grants and funding.
- Possess excellent social and communication skills including good command of Arabic/English.
- Current Curriculum Vitae.
- Cover letter.
- Teaching, research, and service philosophy.
- Three referees’ contact information (physical and email addresses as well their telephones contact).
- Copy of highest earned credential (transcript of highest degree if graduated from an institution where course work was completed. However, if no course work was completed, an copy of certificate letter from the registrar of your highest credential granting institution regarding your highest academic degree).
- Any additional documentation that you feel is relevant to your application.
- A three-year renewable contract.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Tax-free salary.
- Furnished accommodation in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual round trip air tickets for faculty member and dependents in accordance with QUHR policies.
- Educational allowance for candidate's children (eligible candidates only) in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Private health care and health insurance in accordance with QU HR policies.
- Annual leave in accordance with QU HR policies.
- End-of-contract indemnity.
How To Apply
- Returning Applicant: Please login to update/edit your saved profile. Use this profile to apply for this position.
- New Applicant: You need to setup an account with QU Recruitment Online System and complete your personal profile. Once your profile is complete you may use it to apply for an open Position.