Accounts Payable Specialist
This position reports to the Accounts Payable Manager in the Payment Services Department under the direction of the Procurement Services group. Duties will include auditing a high volume of invoices for appropriateness of payment; obtaining payment approvals, data entry, matching, accrual of use taxes and e-waste accruals when appropriate, interpretation and application of accounting policies and procedures, problem solving and heavy customer service contact.
- Audit invoices for appropriateness and authenticity.
- Electronic matching of invoice to purchase order and/or receiver.
- Ability to proactively obtain department approvals and other essential information.
- Review subcontract invoices and ensure closeout approvals and coordination with Subcontracts Buyer.
- Ability to resolve shipping and pricing discrepancies with Buyers and campus personnel.
- Ability to process a high volume of invoices timely and accurately using Imaging and Oracle systems.
- Calculates discounts, fractional charges, partial shipments and apply amount based receipts when necessary.
- Sales and use tax interpretation and application.
- Apply California partial sales/use tax exemptions when applicable.
- Application of assessments and excise taxes when appropriate. This includes Hawaii Excise Tax, California Lumber Products Assessment, Carpet Stewardship Assessment Fee, Public Utility Transportation Tax and Electronic Waste Accruals.
- Tax reporting interpretation and application of backup withholdings for domestic and foreign payees.
- Review, evaluate and resolve a wide variety of complex and unique problems related to payment processing.
- Vendor account reconciliations and statement review.
- Respond professionally and timely to all inquiries from external and internal customers regarding payments.
- Handles accruals at year-end closing.
- Other duties as assigned.
- At least one year of accounts payable experience.
- An understanding of general accounting concepts.
- Experience with a document imaging system and ERP system (accounts payable module) and skilled in processing a high invoice volume with accuracy.
- Microsoft Windows Office experience including Word, Excel, and Outlook email software.
- Able to meet deadlines while offering the highest levels of customer service.
- Ability to process a high-volume of invoices and related documents electronically.
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex problems.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Skilled in organizing work and setting priorities.
- Ability to reconcile supplier accounts.
- Ability to process invoices from onscreen images.
- Oracle Enterprise Systems (Oracle R12 experience preferred).
- Ability to fit in with a large team environment.
- Working knowledge of accounting concepts such as debits, credits, accruals, refunds, payment terms and discounts.
- An understanding of tax reporting regulations (1099, 1042S and 592B) experience preferred.
- Previous experience in higher education is a plus.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants