Lecturer Graphic Design
Lecturer Graphic Design
School of Creative Arts
£32,004 - £38,183 pa
Full time position working 37 hours per week (1.0 fte)
The School of Creative Arts is seeking to appoint a Lecturer who will be a core member of the teaching team on the successful BA (Hons) Graphic Design and Illustration programme. An effective, dynamic and innovative approach to teaching and the design of learning is core to the role. The post holder would be expected to contribute to programme management as well as fully engage with industry research and consultancy projects. Joining a friendly and ambitious team, the post holder would also be expected to undertake activities building on their existing industry networks to enhance the ambitions and external profile of the School.
Main duties and responsibilities include:
- To prepare and teach at undergraduate level, administer and assess as well as contributing strategically to the development of this discipline area.
- To contribute to and lead aspects of the programme and the subject within the School including module and year leadership.
- Marking, assessment of student work including internal examination processes and provision of constructive assessment feedback to students.
- Take the initiative in develop links, curriculum revisions, learning and teaching innovations, module and programme development and income generation projects.
- To make a contribution to the national and international reputation of this high profile area of work.
- To develop industry contacts and work experience places for students.
- To undertake work leading to research outcomes or commercial activities with a minimum of one research/industry project per year.
- Contribution to the design of student information for the School working with the School’s in-house designer.
- Design and development of teaching, learning and assessment materials for a range of modules.
Skills and experience needed:
- Thorough knowledge of typography and branding is essential, as is an appreciation of the importance of idea generation process within graphic design and illustration.
- Experience of teaching motion graphics, data visualisation or user experience would also be desirable.
- Knowledge and experience of business and professional practices.
- Evidence of current working in industry or professional practice.
- Specialist subject knowledge and skills.
- Some experience of teaching at Higher Education level is essential.
- Advanced user of relevant software.
- Proven experience of collaborative and team working as well as external networking skills.
- Experience of teaching and/or working in motion graphics, data visualisation or user experience would also be desirable.
- Honours degree in Graphic Design or related areas
- MA in a relevant subject area
- PhD in relevant subject desirable
We particularly encourage applications from women who are under-represented in the University in this discipline.
The University offers a range of benefits including a guaranteed pension, professional development, family friendly policies and discounted memberships at the Hertfordshire Sports Village.
Applicants should email Dr Shaun Borstrock, Head of Design for any enquiries about the role (email: email@example.com).
Apply online at http://www.herts.ac.uk/contact-us/jobs-and-vacancies
Closing date: 8 May 2017.
Interviews to be held w/c 29 May 2017.