COGNOS Expert Developer
OFFICE OF THE VICE-CHANCELLOR & PRESIDENT,
Information Technology Services, Fiji–LIT077
Build a legacy with us!
The University of the South Pacific is one of only two regional universities in the world. We are the leading tertiary education provider and research facility in the South Pacific. The USP is owned and supported by 12 Pacific Island countries. We are committed to leaving a lasting legacy for all of these countries by developing their leaders of tomorrow. With a six-year strategic plan (2013-2018) we have significant ambitions for the future and we need great leaders to achieve them.The Information Technology Services (ITS) section strategically aligns to the University’s vision of being proactive to deliver excellence, and be highly regarded locally, regionally and internationally and to provide sustainable solutions in the Pacific.The ITS Section encourages a culture based on core values of working together, continuous improvement and accountability.The position is based at the University’s Laucala Campus in Suva, Fiji.
An opportunity has arisen for a COGNOS Expert Developer, in the Re-engineering Project, who will report directly to the Director ITS.The incumbent will be responsible for the design, development, implementation and support of mission-critical enterprise Business Intelligence (BI) reports. She/he will work with cross-functional teams to gather and document reporting requirements to meet business needs and will then use those requirements to design, develop, test and implement reports and dashboards that utilise the underlying data store(s)/ data warehouse(s) / data mart(s) that USP has.
The role also requires the incumbent to participate in business analysis activities to gather required reporting and dashboard requirements. The incumbent must be able to participate with other specialist to convert legacy reports (primarily Business Objects) to Cognos BI solutions as well as Transition developed reports and dashboards to the Operations & Support team.
The role will also be required to:
- Provide support as required to ensure the availability and performance of developed reports and dashboards for both external and internal users and also ensure proper configuration management and change controls are implemented for your sphere of influence.
- Lead and provide technical assistance and cross training to other team members and provide training and assistance to users for generation of adhoc reports.The incumbent must be able to also determine resource needs and meet project expectations.
Overall, the incumbent is required to design and implement technology best practices, guidelines and repeatable processes. Moreover, the jobholder must be able to perform duties with moderate to low supervision.
The Person We Seek
To be considered for this position, applicants must have:
- Postgraduate qualifications in Computer Science or Information Systems with a good first degree and extensive relevant experience (at least 4 years of work experience using Cognos BI tools); oran equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Experience in a COGNOS development environment, with Proficiency with Cognos BI (preferably v10.x) product suite (Report Studio, Analysis Studio, Query Studio);
- Performance tuning experience related to reporting queries required;
- Sound understanding of data integration issues (validation and cleaning), familiarity with complex data and structures;
- Excellent interpersonal (verbal and written) communication skills are required to support working in project environments that includes internal, external and customer teams;
- Demonstrable evidence of a high level of COGNOS knowledge, IT issue resolution skills and leadership skills;
- Strong analytical, conceptual and problem-solving abilities;
- Programming knowledge, scripting experience and knowledge of the software development life cycle;
- Ability to manage multiple priorities, and assess and adjust quickly to changing priorities;
- Sound knowledge of and experience with SQL;
- At least 1 year of experience working and corresponding with management and executive management levels;
- At least 2 years of experience developing and maintaining applications with an emphasis on data extraction and manipulation from other database systems using SQL and/or other query languages;
- Strong time management and planning skills required to coordinate and prioritize multiple projects;
- Be self-motivated, change-oriented and a team player.
Preference will be given to applicants with:
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems or a relevant first degree with good GPA.
- Good project management skills, experience in programming and developing software system as well as have knowledge of higher education systems.
- Strong knowledge of Finance, HR and Student processes and Banner ERP is also desirable.
- In addition, applicants must have supervisory experience, excellent orientation for teamwork and be able to achieve targets within given deadlines.
The position is available for a term of 3 years and may be renewed by mutual agreement.
Salary Range: The University will provide a competitive remuneration package to the successful applicant.
In addition, the University contributes 10% of basic salary to an approved superannuation scheme, provides airfare and relocation costs where appropriate.
Enquiries:Mr. Kolinio Boila, Finance Section; tel.: (679) 32 32054; email: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 23 April 2017
How to Apply
Candidates are strongly encouraged to use the University’s online E-Recruitment system to view full details and apply for this position at www.usprecruits.usp.ac.fj Candidates may request further information from the Human Resources Office; tel.: (679) 32 32072; email: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com Manual applications are no longer accepted.
Please also include the following documents in your application: Cover letter and Resume clearly addressing key Selection Criteria, academic transcript and names of three referees, one of which must be your current or most recent direct work supervisor.