PhD Research Fellowship Position - Department of Electric Power Engineering
The Faculty of Information Technology and Electrical Engineering, http://www.ntnu.edu/ie at the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) has a vacancy for a 100% position as PhD research fellow at Department of Electric Power Engineering (IEL) http://www.ntnu.edu/elkraft (IEL)
Information about the department
Currently there are 11 professors and 6 associate professors at the department. In addition, there are 4 adjunct associate professors, 7 postdoctoral researchers, approx. 30 PhD students and 14 technical/administrative staff. Research activities are organized into two groups: Power systems and Power Technology.
Information about the position
The project activities will be coordinated with the Pricing Balancing Services in the Future Nordic Power Market (PRIBAS) project. PRIBAS is led by SINTEF Energy Research in cooperation with NTNU, Fraunhofer IWES, TU Delft, Statnett SF, Statkraft Energi AS, Svenska Kräftnet, Hydro Energi AS, Lyse Produksjon AS, Agder Energi Kraftforvaltning AS, E-CO Energi AS. The project is co-funded by The Research Council of Norway.
The primary objective of this project is to design, develop and verify a model concept, which is able to compute marginal prices for all physical electricity products in the Nordic power market, including energy and different types of reserve capacity and balancing energy.
The successful candidate is involved in developing new methods and models, which provide reliable price forecasts and resource allocation for energy and different types of balancing services. The costs of procuring and deploying balancing services are expected to increase significantly in a future power system hosting more intermittent generation and with stronger connections to central Europe. Reliable price forecasts are important when estimating the benefit of future system upgrades and expansions in the generation and transmission system.
We seek highly motivated and excellent candidates with the MSc degree in electrical engineering, energy economics, and optimization. According to the formal PhD regulations, average grade B or better is required. We will prioritize candidates based on the following criteria:
- Excellent communication skills - written and oral.
- Ability to work independently, as well as in team
The candidate needs to have strong willingness to strengthen his/her background in electricity market related topics.
Applicants who do not master a Scandinavian language must provide evidence of good English language skills, written and spoken. The following tests can be used as such documentation: TOEFL, IELTS and Cambridge Certificate in Advanced English (CAE) or Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English (CPE). Minimum scores are:
- TOEFL: 600 (paper-based test), 92 (Internet-based test)
- IELTS: 6.5, with no section lower than 5.5 (only Academic IELTS test accepted)
- CAE/CPE: grade B or A.
Appointment is made in accordance with the regulations in force regarding terms of employment for PhD candidates issued by the Ministry of Education and Research, with relevant parts of the additional guidelines for appointment as a PhD candidate at NTNU. The successful candidate must undertake to participate in an organized PhD programme of study during the period of employment. The appointment has a duration of 3 years with the possibility of one year extension with 25% teaching duties in agreement with the department.
Applicants must be qualified for admission as PhD students at NTNU. See http://www.ntnu.edu/studies/phelkt for information aboutPhD studies at NTNU
The PhD position is in code 1017 Research fellow, salary grade 50-62 in the Norwegian State salary scale, gross NOK 435 100 – 535 500 per year, depending on qualifications. There will be a 2 % deduction to the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund from gross wage.
For further information, please contact Associate Professor Hossein Farahmand (email@example.com); tel. +47 735 94 445.
We can offer
- An informal and friendly workplace with dedicated colleagues
- Academic challenges
Attractive schemes for housing loan, insurance and pension in the Norwegian Public Service Pension Fund
NTNU wants to attract outstanding and creative candidates who can contribute to our ongoing research activities. We believe that diversity is important to achieve a good, inclusive working environment. We encourage all qualified candidates to apply, regardless of the gender, disability or cultural background.
The appointment is subject to the conditions in effect at any time for employees in the public sector.
Under Section 25 of the Freedom of Information Act, information about the applicant may be made public even if the applicant has requested not to have his or her name entered on the list of applicants.
The application must be sent electronically via www.jobbnorge.no with information about education and relevant experience.
The application should contain:
- Information about education, exams and previous relevant work/research experience (a CV).
- Certified copies of academic diplomas and certificates.
- Applicants from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a diploma supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grading system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree.
- Publications relevant to the research scope and any other work which the applicant wishes to be taken into account should clearly state the applicant’s contribution. A short summary should be attached outlining the applicant’s input to joint work.
- Names and contact information of at least two references
Mark the application IE-048-2017
Deadline for applications: 2017-04-25
About this job
- Deadline Tuesday, April 25, 2017
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Place of service Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 136885
- Internal ID IE-048-2017
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!