Network Research Engineer
3 days left
- Full Time
We are seeking a talented devops/network research engineer, with a focus on state of the art network and systems development, to join our highly skilled Caltech team, part of which is located at Caltech in California and part at CERN in Geneva.
• Collaboration with partner networks on providing a leading edge, end-to-end software defined network environment for data movement supporting the data analysis operations of the LHC experiments; occasional participation in the development of similar systems for LSST and other big science programs.
• Involvement in a vigorous leading edge R&D program in the following areas:
o Software defined end-to-end network systems and services
o Advanced network protocols
o End-to-end network monitoring
o Leading edge server, storage and network interface configuration, and
testing and tuning for optimal performance in an SDN environment
• Design, operation, development, testing and periodic upgrades of our SDN and data center testbed and production facility.
• In association with this program he/she will participate in high throughput data operations spanning long distance networks, both within the US and between North and South America, Europe and Asia, as well as collaborating with research partners on dynamic end-to-end provisioning system developments.
• B.S. degree in an engineering field with 4+ years of related work experience.
• Demonstrated skills and experience programming in Python and other scripting languages.
• Excellent knowledge and experience with router and switch configuration and operation; good knowledge and experience with routing and switching protocols.
• Linux system management expertise and/or equivalent experience in keeping server systems fully operational.
• Proven system development and problem solving skills; including the ability to rapidly diagnose network performance and operational problems, and to adapt to new technologies and methods.
• Proven communication skills, and the ability to work effectively as part of a team.
• Occasional travel to partner sites and conferences in the US and overseas.
• Masters or Ph. D in engineering, or in an experimental science combined with
relevant engineering experience.
• CCIE level certification.
• Strong devops knowledge and experience.
• Knowledge and experience with current dynamic bandwidth provisioning
systems such as OSCARS and NSI.
• Knowledge and experience in Software Defined Networking.
• Knowledge and experience with advanced Internet applications and technologies, such as configuring and optimizing TCP stacks, configuring high throughput servers and interfaces, and/or using other methods to achieve very high throughput.
• Knowledge and experience in the development and/or operation of network-distributed computing and storage systems.
Supervisory position? No
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 04/04/2017
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled Yes
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.