You will join the Electronic Systems for Experiments Group (ESE) of the Experimental Physics Department (EP), which designs electronic systems and Application Specific Integrated Circuits (ASICs), for the experiments at CERN and also supplies a series of electronics related services. The Microelectronics section (ME) develops analogue and digital integrated circuits for the readout and control of experiments at CERN. One of the ongoing developments is the development of a pico-second resolution multi-channel TDC ASIC to be used across multiple applications and experiments both inside and outside CERN.
Electronics Engineer in the Experimental Physics Department (EP), Electronic Systems to Experiments group (ESE), Microelectronics section (ME).
As an electronics engineer in the Microelectronics section of the ESE group, you will work on finishing the development and perform the tests of one particular ASIC aiming at high resolution timing measurement (picoTDC). In particular, your work will require:
- Preparation of test bench for submitted prototype of a 64 channel pico-second TDC to perform detailed test and verification, including supervision of young engineer/trainee building test system and performing chip tests.
- Generation of test patterns from the RTL model of submitted prototype.
- Collection and analysis of high precision timing measurements to determine effective TDC performance and identify required chip improvements/corrections.
- Implement required changes/improvements to the ASIC at both full custom layout level and at digital RTL and gate level.
- Collaborate with physicists and external groups to integrate developed TDC into a multitude of different applications.
- Collaboration with external groups that have developed critical building blocks of the chip (low jitter PLL and low jitter differential inputs).
- Preparation, verification and submission of final PicoTDC ASIC for production.
- Manage development of final IC package with an appropriate company.
- Development of final production test patterns and routines to be used on either in-house test system or to be outsourced to an external testing house.
Master's degree in the field of electronics engineering with specilization in microelectronics design, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the fields of design, development and testing of microelectronics circuits.
- Experience of modern CMOS processes and in particular of low power, high speed ASIC design.
- Extensive experience with the use of EDA tools for mixed mode microelectronics design: analog simulation, compact layout, extraction and re-simulation, HDL simulation and synthesis for digital circuitry.
- Deep knowledge of modern back-end tools as well as Verilog RTL programming.
Experience in the following fields will also be valued:
- The design of analog and mixed-mode circuits of high energy physics experiments.
- Radiation effects on CMOS processes.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Digital microelectronic circuit design.
- Analog microelectronic circuit design.
- Application of high level electronic system description languages, techniques and tools.
- Design of electronics for clock/timing generation, processing, distribution and recovery.
- Design of electrical buses, serial links and transmission lines.
- Digital circuit testing and measurement techniques
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: understanding when teamwork is required to achieve the best results; including others accordingly and sharing information.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
- Communicating effectively: checking to ensure that the message has been well understood; ensuring that information, procedures and decisions are appropriately documented.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
The language competencies required are:
- English: spoken and written with the ability to write technical documents and make technical presentations.
- The ability to understand and speak French in professional contexts would be an advantage.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 1 year. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Work during nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.