Software Engineer in the Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE), Safety Engineering and Environment Group (SEE), Computing Support Section (CO).
You will join:
- The Occupational Health & Safety and Environmental Protection Unit (HSE), which supports the Organization in the implementation and enforcement of its safety policy, monitors the implementation and accomplishment of Safety objectives aimed at a continuous improvement of safe working and operating conditions as well as environmental protection and grants safety clearance on behalf of the Director-General for special equipment, installations, experiments and projects with major Safety implications.
- The Safety Engineering and Environment Group (SEE), which offers Safety support services such as engineering expertise, accidents/incidents follow-up, or independent control adapted to the needs of the CERN Departments with the aim of enhancing prevention and ensuring that all Safety aspects are integrated from the earliest stage of any project and that best Safety practices are shared, harmonized and disseminated.
- The Computing Support Section (CO), that is in charge of the development, integration and support of wide set of specific software and systems such as web applications and databases assisting the HSE Unit activities as well as the development and support of the CERN supervision, control and data acquisition system for Radiation Protection and the Environment Protection.
As Software Engineer, you will be part of the team that is responsible for the development and support of web applications and databases for Safety at CERN such as: personal dosimetry, safety inspections, tendering support and geographical classification of radiological risk.
This will involve:
- Analysis of user requirements, design and development of web applications and databases required by the HSE Unit.
- Maintenance, operation and support of existing software developed by the team or integrated commercial solutions.
- Promotion and development of procedures and tools to further increase the quality of the produced software: continuous integration, automated test.
- Implementation of changes in our systems and services to stay up to date on latest technology trends while synchronizing efforts with other teams to ensure the use of standards and frameworks of the organization.
- Mentoring and supervision of junior team members (students).
Master's degree in the field of Computing, Software Engineering or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Proven experience in software development and maintenance of web applications in java, involving design and development of user interfaces and web applications back-ends, front-ends and data management.
- Demonstrated experience in database design.
- Experience with user relations, user support, user training and user requirements definition.
- Demonstrated experience in software development life cycle: unit testing, continuous integration, version control, documentation.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Programming/Software development: very advanced knowledge in jee frameworks (spring framework, jsf, primefaces, hibernate, maven or similar tools).
- Database/Repository design: extensive experience in database design and optimization in oracle.
- Software development process improvement: continuous integration tools, automated testing, software reviews, version control system (git).
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Solving problems: producing workable and timely solutions that meet requirements.
- Learning and sharing knowledge: sharing knowledge and expertise freely and willingly with others; coaching others to ensure knowledge transfer.
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships; debating at the table and engaging in constructive confrontation of ideas; gaining trust and collaboration from others.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements; demonstrating a willingness to accept changing circumstances; supporting initiatives for change.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; delivering presentations in a structured and clear way; adjusting style and content to the audience; responding calmly and confidently to questions.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English.
- Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 28.04.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.