Professor of Architecture
- Full Time
Professor of Architecture
School of Creative Arts
£57,319 - £66,308 pa dependent on designated skills and experience
Grade: AM1 – 2
Permanent - full time position (1.0 fte)
The School of Creative Arts is seeking to appoint an outstanding Professor with a track record of research in at least one of the following areas of interest:
- Architecture and design, new technologies and materials; architecture, construction as related to civil engineering; digital technologies and digital fabrication;
- Architecture and design in relation to the built environment and future planning; urbanism, the built environment and impact on social and economic behaviours of organisations and communities; design interventions to improve sustainability;
- Architecture, design and the use of big data; planning and the built environment in the future.
The right candidate will be joining a successful and ambitious School, which enjoys numerous external accreditations. The School is now looking to take forward its excellence in research and support the University’s ambition to be internationally renowned as the UK’s leading business-facing University.
Working directly with the Dean and Associate Dean Research, we offer an exciting opportunity to shape an area of the School’s research around a pivotal thematic topic, to strengthen the research activity of the School.
The School offers a friendly and collegiate working environment, where someone with proven research and research leadership skills can achieve significant positive change and be supported to realise his/her own ambitions and those of the team.
The main purpose of the job is to make a significant internationally excellent contribution to research in the School and University. The main duties include playing a leading role in the research environment in the School, bringing in associated funding to support this research, producing annual research outcomes at 3 – 4* level in preparation for REF submission and beyond, research supervision and related teaching at all levels.
The skills, qualifications and experience needed include:
- A degree level qualification or equivalent in Architecture or relevant subject area is an essential requirement of the role. A doctorate level qualification is a desirable requirement.
- A track record of undertaking novel enquiry and dissemination of new knowledge and/or advances in practice with an established international profile. A track record of having achieved distinction through a substantial record of peer-esteemed outputs in the subject.
- Experience of having led projects, teams and scholarly communities which has included securing prestigious research; seeking out and responding to funding and collaborative opportunities; leading and managing research; mentoring and coaching colleagues; experience doctoral supervisor status achieved; and line management of research staff.
- A track record of subject advocacy, leadership of professional networks and knowledge exchange. This would include prior engagement with academic leadership and advocacy of the subject; creation and leadership of partnerships with external organisations; contribution to national and international forums, conferences and/or policies.
We particularly welcome female applicants and those from an ethnic minority, as they are under-represented within UH at these levels.
The University offers a range of benefits including a guaranteed pension, professional development, family friendly policies and discounted memberships at the Hertfordshire Sports Village.
If you would like to discuss the post in more detail please contact Judy Glasman, Dean of School of Creative Arts (email firstname.lastname@example.org) copying in Kelly Hall, Executive Assistant (email: email@example.com).
Apply online at http://www.herts.ac.uk/contact-us/jobs-and-vacancies
Closing date: 7 May 2017.
Interview date: 12 June 2017.