Procurement Officer in the Industry, Procurement and Knowledge Transfer Department (IPT), Procurement and Industrial Services Group (PI), Research and Industrial Services Section (RI).
You will join:
- The Industry, Procurement and Knowledge Transfer Department (IPT), responsible for all of the Organization's procurement, knowledge and technology transfer activities. In its work with the CERN community, the Department provides a broad range of services covering procurement, support for EU projects and the management of intellectual property related to knowledge transfer. The Department also maintains strong relationships with external partners, providing dedicated services and information for businesses, universities and research institutes and Member State representatives.
- The Procurement and Industrial Services Group (PI), responsible to procure all supplies and services for the Organization, ensuring that the specified and contractual technical, delivery and performance requirements are met at the lowest possible overall cost, whilst achieving balanced industrial returns for CERN Member States and respecting CERN's Procurement Rules. The Group monitors and reports procurement activities and statistics to CERN Management and Member State representatives. It also handles the Organization's temporary labour requirements.
As Procurement Officer you will be involved in a broad range of activities related to the Organization's procurement of mainly services.
- Advise and support the Organization's research and technical departments and assist them in identifying procurement strategies within budgetary and time constraints.
- Prepare price enquiries and/or invitations to tender in accordance with the Organization's Procurement Rules and on an international basis.
- Analyse offers, prepare proposals for adjudications and submit these to the Management.
- Ensure the preparation, negotiation and follow-up of numerous orders and contracts.
- Develop and maintain numerous contacts at all levels, within and outside the Organization.
Master's degree in the field of economics, purchasing, law or engineering, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience in the handling of orders and/or contracts related to the provision of goods, equipment and services in an international environment and preferably in the research sector
- Demonstrated experience with European markets and international standards related to the procurement of goods, equipment and services in at least one of the following areas: civil engineering, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, ICT, vacuum and low-temperature technology and various industrial services.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Purchasing and procurement.
- Contract management.
- Drafting of commercial documents: price inquiries, orders and contracts.
- Sourcing, subcontracting, and insourcing / outsourcing of industrial services.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Managing self: taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen; projecting self-confidence when presenting ideas, proposals and opinions.
- Achieving results: following through on new ideas and innovations; planning and implementing application; having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point; utilising effective negotiation techniques to achieve long-term results acceptable to all parties involved.
- Demonstrating flexibility: demonstrating openness to new ideas and situations; being able to demonstrate flexibility whilst abiding by all applicable rules.
- Solving problems: finding the information needed to solve problems; making objective judgments based on all the facts available; anticipating obstacles; assessing alternative solutions in order to have a fall-back plan.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English: Ability to draw-up technical specifications documentation and/or scientific reports. Basic knowledge of French or an undertaking to acquire it rapidly.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 01.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry.
Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.