Computing Infrastructure Engineer
Computing Infrastructure Engineer in the Beam Department (BE), Controls Group (CO), Infrastructure Section (IN).
You will join:
The Beams Department responsible for the operation and performance of the entire CERN accelerator complex, including the injector complex and their experimental areas, and the LHC.
The Controls Group responsible for the specification, design, procurement, integration, installation, commissioning and operation of the controls infrastructure for all CERN accelerators, their transfer lines and the experimental areas. Support is also provided to the technical infrastructure services that rely on standard controls facilities provided by the group.
The Infrastructure Section in charge of the specification, procurement, administration and support of the CERN accelerator computing infrastructure. This portfolio covers the high-performance server platforms of the accelerator data center, operator workstations and accelerator real-time hardware platforms with their associated fieldbus networks.
As Computing Infrastructure Engineer in the BE-CO-IN Section, you will participate in the engineering processes involved in the operation and evolution of the CERN accelerator computing infrastructure.
Your main activities will consist of:
Participate in the specification, design and implementation of a new CERN accelerator computing infrastructure monitoring system based on state-of-the-art software technologies.
Join the system administration team of the CERN accelerator computing infrastructure. The mandate of this team covers the following domains:
Integration and monitoring of all systems connected to the accelerator control system (consoles, servers, real-time embedded platforms, network agents, etc.);
Installation, configuration and support of the control system computing platform for development and accelerator operation, based upon the Linux operating system;
Operation of central control system computing servers;
Computer and network security;
Deployment and management of virtualized hosts;
Master's degree in the field of Information technologies, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
Proven experience in the operation of large scale distributed computing infrastructures, in particular:
High-performance and high-availability commercial server platforms;
Embedded platforms used for real-time computing (VMEbus, cPCI, PCI, PCIe, PXI);
Diagnostic and monitoring solutions for the above-mentioned platforms running the Linux operating system.
Proven experience in the integration of computing infrastructure monitoring solutions such as Icinga, Nagios and Prometheus.
Experience with the management of a medium to large-scale computing infrastructure with the Linux operating system, using a configuration management tool such as Ansible, Puppet, Chef, or similar and a version control system such as Git or Subversion.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Configuration and use of control specific protocols.
- Installation, maintenance & operation of Control systems.
- Management and configuration of large control system and distributed systems.
- Programming/Software development: JAVA, C++ and Python.
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: working well in groups and readily fitting into a team; participating fully and taking an active role in team activities.
- Achieving results: having a structured and organised approach towards work; being able to set priorities and plan tasks with results in mind; delivering prompt and efficient service taking into account customer needs.
- Communicating effectively: demonstrating a pro-active approach to resolving differences; addressing issues of conflict constructively; expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French: ability to understand and speak the other language in professional contexts.
- Ability to draw-up technical specifications and scientific reports and to make oral presentations in at least one of the two languages.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 02.05.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Participation in a regular stand-by duty, including nights, Sundays and public holidays.
- Work in radiation areas.
- Interventions in underground installations.
- A valid driving licence.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.