POLICY ANALYST, RESEARCH AND INNOVATION (FULL-TIME)
About Universities Australia
Universities Australia (UA) is the national peak body collectively representing Australia’s 39 comprehensive universities. Its key role is to assist in securing, through policy development and political advocacy, a policy, regulatory, and funding environment that supports the maintenance of a world class university system.
UA also promotes the role of university education and research in underpinning national economic, social and cultural wellbeing. The organisation seeks to ensure that relevant policy discussion are as well informed as possible through the development and prosecution of whole-of-sector policy positions. It also provides representation to relevant committees, advisory groups and working parties, pursues and implements agreements with international bodies that facilitate member engagement, and builds and executes issue specific campaigns.
Universities Australia also assists its members by serving as a hub for the exchange of information, ideas and learning across the sector.
The Policy and Analysis team within Universities Australia establishes the basis for all sectoral policy positions that underpin and drive the organisation’s advocacy activities. This team covers all aspects of higher education policy: academic, corporate, health and workforce, international, research and innovation and copyright.
Core responsibilities for all policy team members include research, analysis and coordination of activities including management of standing and ad hoc committees and working groups. Team members produce policy documents such as: submissions, Board papers, discussion papers and issue briefs, sectoral guidelines, and briefings for Universities Australia members, senior staff, and for communication purposes. Copyright is a specialist section and is responsible for negotiating copyright licences for the use of educational resources and music on behalf of member universities
The Policy Analyst, Research and Innovation is responsible for undertaking policy and advocacy work related to strengthening Australia’s research and innovation performance, under the direction of the Policy Director, Research and Innovation
Reports to Direct reports
Policy Director, Research and innovation None
- Under the direction of the Policy Director, Research and Innovation, develop and coordinate policy across activities under the responsibility of the research and innovation portfolio;
- Take leadership of specified policy areas as determined by (and reported through) Policy Director, Research and Innovation;
- Prepare, and assist in preparation of, papers for Board/Plenary meeting and the provision of advice to the Executive;
- Prepare, and assist in preparation of, submissions and policy papers;
- Identify, collect and disseminate literature and key knowledge bases relevant to the research and innovation portfolio;
- Provide Secretariat support for the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research Committee and ad hoc Working Groups as required;
- Represent UA on external committees and reference groups as required;
- Conduct presentations to external audiences as required;
- Assist other work teams as required; and
- Other duties as directed.
- Substantial experience in the analysis, development and preparation of policy advice in an applied public policy environment;
- Highly developed writing skills for a variety of audiences;
- High-level communication skills including ability to work effectively with a range of people and organisations; and
- Ability to work in small team, to organise work to meet deadlines, to work under pressure and to carry out a range of tasks quickly and with minimum supervision.
- Understanding of the higher education sector and the research system in Australia
Tertiary qualifications in a related discipline and/or relevant professional experience.