Desktop Services Specialist
Tracking Code 4433/C2817
Serve as a liaison between the BU community and IS&T, leveraging technical expertise to advocate for and implement solutions. Participate in multiple service, platform or project teams as a subject matter expert or technical lead. Act as an application administrator or backup for a service. Operate, maintain, troubleshoot and provide advanced level support for a wide variety of areas including: client/desktop systems administration, mobile devices, specialized database management, client-server solutions, project implementation and planning, web-based solutions as well as ongoing needs for supported organizations at the software and hardware level on the Charles River Campus. Focus on consistently providing best in class support through collaboration with our faculty, staff, and researchers to modernize business processes using IT solutions. Perform additional duties as required. Position may entail being on call and working evening, weekend and/or holiday hours, as needed.
Three to five years’ experience in a related technology environment. Bachelor's Degree in related discipline is preferred. MCTS, CompTIA A+/Security+ certificates preferred. Must hold a valid driver's license. Must be able to lift moderately heavy equipment (up to 50 pounds).
- Strong experience with diagnosing Windows 7/8/10, macOS, and Linux issues required. Must be able to troubleshoot software, hardware and network issues. Preferred experience with VMware, Exchange, Active Directory, group policy, and server administration skills including monitoring performance and file permissions. An understanding of restricted use data is also required. Should be comfortable with installing, configuring and upgrading Windows, Mac, and Linux applications, various specialized applications, peripherals, and mobile devices. Knowledge of TCP/IP LAN/wireless networking principles and application protocols, i.e. HTTP, HTTPS, SMTP and FTP. Experience with WordPress and web site content management and development.
- Strong experience with a variety of tools commonly leveraged in a complex enterprise environment such as remote assistance, asset management, image and deployment, patching, backup and restore, virus protection, and various native and centrally managed encryption solutions required.
- Must follow procedures and keep accurate records of incidents and requests while working in the field.
- Strong writing and organizational skills required.
- Demonstrate patience when problem-solving complex technical issues, over the phone and in person, with diverse customers.
- Learn and support new technology quickly.
- Must possess excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Strong customer service skills absolutely necessary.
- Energetic, self-directed, motivated and professional individual who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Interact with all levels of an organization in a professional, diplomatic and tactful manner.
- Work well with external vendors.
- Work well with both primary and dotted line reporting.
- Work productively in cross-functional teams and/or resourcefully and independently as an individual.
- Must possess the ability to work autonomously and maintain control in rapidly changing situations.
- A high level of independent decision making is absolutely required.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We are a VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Job Location Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Position Type Full-Time/Regular