Fabrication Methods and Subcontracting Technician
Mechanical Technician for Fabrication Methods and Subcontracting in the Engineering Department (EN-dept), Mechanical and Materials Engineering Group (MME-group), Fabrication Methods and Subcontracting Section (FS-section).
You will join:
- The Engineering Department (EN) that provides engineering competencies, infrastructure systems and technical coordination for the world's largest particle accelerator complex and its experimental facilities.
- The Mechanical & Material Engineering Group (MME) that provides specific engineering solutions for CERN, combining mechanical design, in-house and external fabrication facilities and material sciences support.
- The Fabrication Methods & Subcontracting Section (FS), in charge of fabrication engineering, work preparation and planning as well as external fabrication through subcontracting via world-wide industrial partners. Complex and diverse equipment for accelerators and detectors like beam intercepting devices, RF Cavities, superconducting magnets, UHV components, pressure vessels, special lifting equipment and support structures are just few examples among the wide-ranging production.
As a Mechanical Technician in the Fabrication Methods & Subcontracting Section you will manage the preparation of internal fabrication jobs relying on a wide range of technologies including machining, forming and welding, as well as on external fabrication through subcontracting in industry.
- Identify the most suitable fabrication methods contributing to the strategic balance between internal construction and subcontracting.
- Foster the bridging between design office and workshop, review drawing files and adapt them for fabrication, including giving technical advice to users on fabrication methods and design.
- Prepare the manufacturing file: define the appropriate process sequences for the manufacturing of simple or multi-technological assemblies on the basis of project engineer's, or designer's, demands, estimate costs and delivery times.
- Draft preliminary planning in agreement with workshop's foremen.
- Design specific tooling for machining and assembly, follow-up their fabrication and actively contribute to their implementation.
- Manage the procurement of raw materials.
- Take the responsibility for the technical coordination of specific workshop jobs.
- Manage subcontracted production via industrial partners, in agreement with CERN purchasing rules and with an integrated approach with respect to internal fabrication. This implies the preparation of technical specifications, management of price enquiries in collaboration with the CERN Procurement team, technical follow-up of the fabrication including visits to firms.
Higher technical diploma in the field of mechanics or sheet-metal working and welding, or equivalent.
Experience and competencies
The experience required for this post is:
- Demonstrated experience as a Mechanical Technician for fabrication methods and construction in mechanical industry particularly in the R&D and prototyping domains.
- Proven experience in the fabrication of complex mechanical systems requiring a multi-technology approach, in particular concerning the preparation of the fabrication job.
- Knowledge of metallic materials properties (stainless steels, aluminium alloys, copper alloys) with regard to forming and welding as well as high precision machining.
- Familiarity with industrial sub-contracting including commercial, logistic and quality control procedures associated with procurement would be an advantage.
The technical competencies required for this post are:
- Definition of manufacturing method, process, preparation, planning, drawing and control.
- Precision assembly and construction: knowledge of sheet-metal forming technologies, prevention and control of welding distortions and calibration operations.
- Gluing, welding, brazing: manual, orbital and CNC automatic arc welding, TIG, MIG/MAG, plasma, resistance welding, soldering and brazing.
- Turning, milling, erosion, grinding: knowledge of high precision machining processes and ability to estimate manufacturing costs and delivery time.
- 3D & 2D technical drawing: ability to read/interpret technical drawings and ISO tolerancing (dimensional and geometrical product specification standards).
The behavioural competencies required for this post are:
- Working in teams: building and maintaining constructive and effective work relationships.
- Communicating effectively: expressing opinions, ideas and suggestions with conviction and in a logical/structured manner; keeping to the point.
- Managing self: working well autonomously; taking on activities and tasks without prompting; taking initiative beyond regular tasks and making things happen.
- Solving problems: identifying, defining and assessing problems, taking action to address them.
- Demonstrating flexibility: adapting quickly and resourcefully to shifting priorities and requirements.
The language competencies required are:
- Spoken and written English or French; ability to understand and speak the other language in routine situations.
Eligibility and closing date
Employing a diverse and international workforce is a CERN core value and central to our success. We welcome applications from all Member States irrespective of gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, race, religion or personal situation.
This vacancy will be filled as soon as possible, and applications should normally reach us no later than 25.04.2017.
By applying here, you allow CERN to consider your application for any position it considers relevant with respect to your profile. Please ensure you update your profile regularly with any relevant information and that you inform the recruitment service if you wish your file to be removed from the database.
Note on Employment Conditions
We offer a limited-duration contract for a period of 5 years. Limited-duration contracts shall terminate by default on their date of expiry. Subject to certain conditions, holders of limited-duration contracts may apply for an indefinite position.
These functions require:
- Shift work, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Stand-by duty, when required by the needs of the Organization.
- Work during nights, Sundays and official holidays, when required by the needs of the Organization.