Head in Macquarie Animal Research Services
Macquarie is the university of pioneering minds. Globally recognised as one of Australia's leading research universities, Macquarie is a place where extraordinary new possibilities come to light. We've helped people to hear, introduced wireless internet technology to the world and broken through traditional boundaries by appointing Australia's first female vice-chancellor.
At Macquarie you'll join a vibrant community of diverse perspectives, all working towards a brighter future for our communities and our planet. Surrounded by beautiful parkland campus, our students and staff are free to explore and discover, supported by facilities including a high-tech library, private teaching hospital, gym and pools, childcare facilities, a campus train station and the newly expanded Macquarie Centre shopping complex next door.
Join us and start seeing the world in a different light.
Description of Office
Within the portfolio of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Research), the Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research Integrity and Development) aims to sustain and grow the university's research profile through the development and implementation of strategies to develop research staff and ensure that research is conducted ethically and with integrity.
Reporting to the Pro-Vice Chancellor (Research Integrity and Development), the Head, Macquarie Animal Research Services (MARS) will provide both daily and strategic management and oversight of the University's animal research facilities. This position plans, implements and leads significant changes in facility management and structure as the University works to expand animal based research activities and animal facilities.
The ideal candidate will have an advanced knowledge and understanding of laboratory animal and wildlife care and research procedures in compliance with Animal Ethics and the Australian code of practice for the care and use of animals for scientific purposes and relevant State and Commonwealth legislation.
- Strong track record in strategic planning and implementation of policies, processes and guidelines involving animal research
- Demonstrated skill and experience in the management of animal facilities involving animal research including Health and Safety compliance with state and national legislation/guidelines
- Strong track record in achieving functional KPI's through effective leadership of a team
- Demonstrated ability to influence, initiate and implement cultural change across relevant departments and research groups
- Demonstrated ability to manage a complex budget including a cost-recovery budget model
- Postgraduate qualifications in medicine, science, veterinary science or (other relevant area) or combination of a qualification and extensive relevant experience
Desirable Selection Criteria
- An understanding of the University sector and issues in higher education, and research and particularly research involving animals;
Underpinning the selection criteria, the successful candidate will of course need to demonstrate a strong commitment to animal welfare.
Applicants should submit a cover letter; CV; a 4 page document addressing the selection criteria; and a one page plan Macquarie Animal Research Services over the next five years. Applications that do not submit these required documents will not be considered by the selection panel.
Due to the nature of this position, the successful incumbent will be required to undertake a criminal history check.
Salary Package: from $120,141 – $141,382 p.a. (Level 10, Band 1), plus 17% employer's superannuation and annual leave loading
Appointment Type: full-time, continuing
Enquiries: Dr Erin Semon on email@example.com or +61 2 9850 6847
Applications Close: Tuesday 25 April 2017 at 11.55pm
Macquarie University is an EO Employer committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications are encouraged from people with disability; women; Indigenous Australians, people who identify as GLBTIQ; and those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
Applications need to be submitted through the Macquarie University online recruitment system. Where circumstances such as disability or remote location prohibit your access to our online system please contact the enquiries person listed in this advertisement for assistance.