Head of Assessment Development and Delivery (MYP)
Head of Assessment Development and Delivery (MYP)
Salary: Circa £50,000 per annum
Hay Grade 18 (Subject to Review)
IB Global Centre, Cardiff
If you're looking to work for a global organization with a meaningful mission, and with colleagues all over the world, then the International Baccalaureate® (IB) may have the ideal opportunity for you!
The IB is a leading global not-for-profit educational organization that offers curriculum and assessment worldwide to children aged 3-19. Our education programs encourage students to be active learners, well-rounded individuals and engaged world citizens.
In addition, we offer comprehensive professional development to support schools and educators.
The IB offers you a unique opportunity to use your skills and attributes in a passionate, mission-focused environment. We’re seeking the best talent, who have not just the required expertise and technical skills but also the behavioural qualities needed to support a variety of stakeholders in the education sector.
In return, you’ll get to work in a learning organization committed to your growth and development, with internationally minded professionals. If you meet all the requirements for this position and you’re seeking just that kind of opportunity, please apply!
Reporting to the Head of eAssessment, this is a key leadership role in the eAssessment team who have full accountability for the delivery of high quality and manageable assessment materials and the careful management of subject management aspects of each examination session for Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP) and Career Related Programme (CP).
The purpose of the role is to:
1. Lead subject management aspects of examination sessions for the MYP resulting in valid, reliable and timely assessments
2. Ensure high quality IB examinations / assessment tools (comprising the creation of assessment models, support for examination authoring and standardization)
3. Facilitate the implementation of key organizational/assessment changes
4. Ensure that appropriate assessment information is communicated to schools and examiners sufficiently in advance of the relevant examination session(s)
5. Contribute to the continuous development of assessment services for schools
6. Manage, support and develop subject managers in the requirements of their role
7. Lead or contribute to projects or initiatives which may be cross IB programmes or cross divisional in nature.
The Examination Session
- Accountable for the subject management aspects of each examination session including question paper setting, standardization, and post-grade award reporting to ensure the successful delivery and quality of each examination session
- Responsible for the timely notification of assessment information to schools
- Collaborate with the examiner recruitment and training (ERT) team in the recruitment, induction and training of paper authors and senior examiners
- Collaborate with assessment operations in preparation of each session
- Accountable for mitigating operational risks and contingency planning to ensure the team are fully prepared for each session
- Accountable for capturing lessons learned and ensuring improvements are made each session
- Responsible for ensuring colleagues in other divisions / departments receive all necessary support for activities that are assessment related (e.g. selecting assessment material for workshops / examiner training).
- Responsible for a portfolio of processes, projects and associated decisions to effect positive change (e.g. standardization, risk management, Japanese as a response language)
- Contribute to strategic change within the Assessment Division, and throughout the IB where appropriate
- Responsible for implementing improved systems in support of valid and reliable assessment
- Responsible for ensuring that due diligence is undertaken before a significant change is introduced that may affect subject managers, examiners, schools and/or candidates
- Responsible for ensuring that changes to assessment as a result of assessment policy or curriculum changes are managed
- Accountable for gaining customer insights through collaboration with Schools Division to support continuous improvement.
- Responsible for the budget for assessment activities for the MYP including standardization, grade award, and staff travel.
Leadership and Management (staff and contractors)
- Accountable for assessment aspects of curriculum review
- Responsible for the line management, performance management and professional development of designated subject managers
- Responsible for holding regular and meaningful meetings with subject managers from the designated subject groups
- Collaborate on promoting professional working relationships between subject managers and curriculum managers
- Collaborate on the introduction of eAssessment of each session for the DP/CP.
Represent the IB
- Represent the IB to a wide community including committees, school coordinators and teachers, universities and external agencies to promote the mission of the organization and to enhance the understanding of the assessment arrangements for IB Programmes.
- Teaching and/ or assessment experience, a) several years teaching experience and/or b) several years’ experience in a position of responsibility in an assessment environment, i.e. an examining body (or equivalent)
- Good statistical understanding and capability
- Proven experience in business change in an education or related context
- Ability to demonstrate intellectual leadership through sharing knowledge of relevant developments in learning, assessment and qualification frameworks
- Experience in budgeting and resource allocation
- Ability to take responsibility openly for complex and difficult decisions and deliver them to internal and external international groups and individuals in an effective and sensitive way
- Resilient and capable of working under pressure and responding to changing priorities and deadline
- Excellent communicator
- A change leader who is experienced at achieving results through the effective management of others
- Knowledge of the IB, IB Programmes or being an IB Alumni is a plus.
Applications are being accepted until 28 April 2017
*The International Baccalaureate is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer*