Scientific Research Assistant
The Scientific Research Assistant will be responsible for creating and supervising projects, preparing samples, taking images of T4ASS and T4BSS with electron microscope and fluorescent microscopes, interpreting the resulting data, and preparing relevant studies for publication.
Bacteria harbor at least nine different types of secretion systems to transfer macromolecules across cellular envelopes. The type IV secretion systems (T4SS) are arguably the most elaborate and diverse and are central to the pathogenesis of multiple human diseases. The T4SS translocates DNA and protein substrates (both monomeric and multimeric) into target cells and helps in bacterial conjugation, as well as pathogenic processes. Based on their composition and genetic organization, the T4SS family has been classified into two major groups: type IVA (T4ASS) and type IVB (T4BSS). The T4BSS is prevalent in some of the human pathogens such as Legionella pneumophila and Coxiella burnetii and is more complex than most T4ASS. Using electron cryotomography, the chosen candidate is to decipher the in situ molecular architecture of both, the T4ASS and the T4BSS and gain mechanistic insight into their function.
- BS plus at least two years of relevant work experience.
- Knowledge and experience in general biological, microbiological and chemistry lab techniques.
- Experience with molecular biology, cloning, protein purification, analytical methods such as EDX, and traditional electron microscopy.
- Experience with PC, Mac and Linux computers and software including Microsoft Office programs as well as 3D image reconstruction software programs including 3DMod, Amira and Chimera.
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills.
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date
Posting Close Date
Open Until Filled
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Caltech is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. For more information about “EEO is the Law” click here: EEO is the Law
Special Instructions to Applicants