Head of E-Assessment
Head of E-Assessment
Salary: Circa £65,000 per annum
IB Global Centre, Cardiff
If you're looking to work for a global organization with a meaningful mission, and with colleagues all over the world, then the International Baccalaureate® (IB) may have the ideal opportunity for you!
The IB is a leading global not-for-profit educational organization that offers curriculum and assessment worldwide to children aged 3-19. Our education programs encourage students to be active learners, well-rounded individuals and engaged world citizens.
In addition, we offer comprehensive professional development to support schools and educators.
The IB offers you a unique opportunity to use your skills and attributes in a passionate, mission-focused environment. We’re seeking the best talent, who have not just the required expertise and technical skills but also the behavioral qualities needed to support a variety of stakeholders in the education sector.
In return, you’ll get to work in a learning organization committed to your growth and development, with internationally minded professionals. If you meet all the requirements for this position and you’re seeking just that kind of opportunity, please apply!
This role reports directly to the Chief Assessment Officer, who is a member of the IB Senior Leadership Team (SLT).
This role is accountable for:
- The delivery of aspects of the IB examination sessions (high quality manageable assessment materials, standardization and grade awarding) for Middle Years Programme (MYP), the Diploma Programme (DP) and Career Related Programme (CP)
- The quality of the IB examinations/assessment tools (comprising the creation of assessment models, paper authoring and standardization.) This includes management of senior examiners
- Examination replacement contingency planning in the event of security breaches affecting examination integrity
- Collaborating with the Head of Assessment Principles and Practice in ensuring the standards of IB assessments
- Collaborating with the Head of Assessment Operations to ensure school compliance with Assessment rules and to complete marking in a timely fashion. This includes management of examiners
- Leading business change in assessment models introduced through new technologies or by other means, namely the transition from traditional (paper based) examinations to on-screen examinations and the business requirements for the replacement assessment management system
- The strategic relationship with third party software suppliers for e-assessment services
- Collaboration across the organization in delivering examination sessions internally and externally, liaising closely with; Finance (budget), IT (systems), Professional Development (assessment content for workshops), Publications (the selling of past-papers, mark schemes and examiner reports), Recognition (ensuring compliance with regulatory and accreditation requirements) and Global Communications (communicating change to IB stakeholders)
- Organization of the Final Award Committee, comprising Board members and senior examiners.
The Examination Session
- For paper based and on-screen examinations, accountable for each examination from question paper setting, standardization, and the post-grade award reporting to ensure the successful delivery and quality of each examination session
- Accountable for quality assurance policies and practices, disaster recovery/business continuity plans for e-assessment
- Develop projects and initiatives to foster new developments in e-assessment, underpinned by fit for purpose policies
- Provide professional co-leadership to the curriculum development team to ensure the effective design of programmes and assessment objectives
- Lead on the operational risk, mitigation and contingency planning that will ensure direct reports and their teams are fully prepared for each examination session
- Set and manage the budget for question setting (authoring, translation, scrutineer) fees, standardization fees, grade award fees, professional development fees, and conduct post session financial evaluation
Leadership and Management (staff and contractors)
- Lead the team to ensure that direct reports and their teams are performing effectively and making appropriate contributions to the overall objectives of the IB and departmental KPIs
- Accountable for the professional leadership and training in assessment
- Accountable for the provision of high quality induction and training of contracted roles (e.g. chief examiners, authors, translators), supported by the examiner recruitment training team
Contract Management (vendors)
- Accountable for the contracts, supported by the IB Procurement team and IT team
Represent the IB to External Stakeholders
- Represent the IB to a wide community including committees, school coordinators and teachers, universities and external agencies to promote the mission of the organization and to enhance the understanding of the assessment arrangements for each programmes.
- A degree (or equivalent), preferably postgraduate, in a discipline that demonstrates a deeper understanding of the interrelationships between learning, formative and summative assessment (e.g. education, psychology, pedagogy)
- Teaching and assessment experience: several years teaching experience and/or several years’ experience in a position of responsibility in an assessment environment, i.e. an examining body (or equivalent)
- Good statistical understanding and capability
- Proven experience in implementing large scale e-initiatives including business change requirements in an education or related context
- Ability to demonstrate intellectual leadership through sharing knowledge of relevant developments in learning, assessment and qualification frameworks
- Expertise in budgeting and resource allocation
- Ability to take responsibility openly for complex and difficult decisions and deliver them to internal and external international groups and individuals in an effective and sensitive way
- Resilient and capable of working under pressure and responding to changing priorities and deadlines
- Excellent communicator
- Proven track record as an effective leader and people manager of a large team in a dynamic and continually changing environment
- A change leader who is experienced at achieving results through the effective management of others
- Allocation of work across the teams
- Knowledge of the IB, IB Programmes or being an IB Alumni is a plus.
Applications are being accepted until 28 April 2017
*The International Baccalaureate is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer*