- One of Australia’s leading research & teaching universities
- Vibrant campus life with a strong sense of community & inclusion
- Enjoy a career that makes a difference by collaborating & learning from the best
At UNSW, we pride ourselves on being a workplace where the best people come to do their best work.
UNSW Medicine is a research and teaching intensive faculty, with close affiliations to a number of Australia’s finest hospitals, research institutes and health care organisations. With an administrative centre at the UNSW Kensington campus, the faculty have staff and students in teaching hospitals across Sydney as well as regional and rural areas of NSW including Albury/Wodonga, Wagga Wagga, Coffs Harbour and Port Macquarie.
The Biological Resource Centre (BRC) is part of the UNSW Medicine and is the main source of animals for teaching and medical research at UNSW and its affiliated hospitals. The BRC houses a range animal, which include rodents, rabbits, guinea pigs and sheep. The BRC provide, support and assistance, in experimental work involving laboratory animals, to research staff and students across UNSW.
About the role
- $60,093 - $67,072 plus (9.5% Superannuation and annual leave loading)
- Fixed Term for 12 months. Maternity Leave replacement commencing May 2017
- Full-time (38 hrs per week)
Duties will include the provision of daily animal husbandry and animal care including environmental monitoring and enrichment, the precise recording of data, cleaning of rooms and equipment, cleaning cages, cage preparation, the operation of an autoclave as well as minor, routine equipment maintenance. The successful applicant will work as part of a team in the provision of high quality services which support research protocols, ensure optimal animal health and experimental outcomes. These are busy roles, requiring repetitive lifting. The role may require being part of a weekend/ public holiday roster. Part time candidates will also be considered.
About the successful applicant
To be successful in this role you will:
- Completion of or currently undertaking a TAFE Certificate, Associate Diploma, or equivalent in Animal Studies or Animal Technology.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision, as well as interact with a diverse group of people, work cooperatively and contribute positively in a team environment;
- Demonstrated experience in the husbandry of a wide on range of animal species in particular rodents.
- Proficient animal handling and basic animal procedures for example injections.
- Excellent interpersonal, written and oral communication skills;
- Excellent organisational skills, ability to meet deadlines, use initiative and problem solving skills;
- Demonstrated computer skills including knowledge of MS office and databases;
- Knowledge of equal employment opportunity (EEO) principles, of Health and Safety responsibilities, diversity in the workplace and commitment to attending relevant H&S training.
You should systematically address the selection criteria listed within the position description in your application. Please apply online - applications will not be accepted if sent to the contact listed.
Dr Stephen Danon – BRC Manager
T: (61 2) 9385 1182
Applications close: 31 March 2017