Head Coach of Women's Basketball
The head coach of women’s basketball is responsible for administering all aspects of the sport program including: coaching, recruiting, game scheduling, student development, supervision of a part time assistant coach, committee participation, budget management, compliance with NCAA, and conference rules/regulations and community building. The head coach will teach in the physical education curriculum. The head coach is also responsible to participate as a member of the college community and with all collaborative departmental functions as needed.
- Demonstrate excellent teaching and coaching competencies with regard to:(a) sport skill instruction (b) motivation © tactical strategies (d) physical training and fitness in practices and contests.
- Exhibit the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, Institute, and Department of Athletics rules, policies and expectations including commitment to lifelong learning, sportsmanship on and off the field of play, positive leadership and the desire and ability to act as a positive role model and representative of the Institute at all times. You will comply with all department, college, conference and NCAA regulations.
- Design and execute a competitive schedule for intercollegiate contests (including practice planning) that maximizes individual and collective student-athlete development and performance; prioritizing conference play within an academically rigorous educational experience. Create team results that are competitive within the SCIAC regular season on a consistent basis.
- Successful recruitment, matriculation, retention and graduation of student-athletes capable of attaining the baccalaureate degree in sufficient quantity to maintain a team roster appropriate for competitive success. Recruitment activities include but are not limited to: identification and evaluation of prospects, communication strategy, record keeping, hosting campus visits, traveling to market the Institute when needed.
- Provide student-athletes with opportunities that allow for social, emotional, and academic development, in addition to athletic success through close interpersonal guidance, mentoring and counseling.
- Manage a cost-effective and administratively efficient sport program working at or within operational budget on an annual basis, includes purchasing, inventory and control of sports equipment and uniforms, management of team travel and effective national recruitment program.
- Participate in whole department and sport specific marketing, public relations, civic and community outreach and fundraising/friend raising activities.
- Develop and maintain collaborative working relationships with all constituents including department colleagues, administration, faculty and other college personnel in the spirit of integration and community with a common mission. Includes collaboration with service/support functions such as SID, equipment and ATC.
- Demonstrate positive and effective communication in all aspects of job; including writing, speaking, listening, and non-verbal skills.
- Supervise and effectively utilize a part time assistant coach (where applicable).
- Teach a variety of beginner physical education classes, up to one per term, (depending on in or out of season) in our required undergraduate physical education curriculum.
- Assume additional responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation which may include but are not limited to: game or facility supervision duties, including facility care and maintenance.
- 4 year undergraduate degree required.
- Organized coaching experience required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, judgement and integrity.
- Strong computing skills including database manipulation, email and calendar savvy.
- The ability to teach through use of images and emerging technologies.
- Passion and ability for personal growth and learning.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Each coaching staff member may be required to perform physical tasks such as:
-lifting, carrying, loading sport specific equipment;
-set up and tear down of sports contest support equipment;
-some care and maintenance of sport specific or general athletic facilities.
- Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Collegiate sports playing experience preferred.
- Assistant/head coaching at the collegiate level strongly preferred.
Supervisory position? Yes
Posting Detail Information
Posting Open Date 03/15/2016
Posting Close Date 04/01/2017
Open Until Filled No
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.