Project Manager, Higher Degree by Research Development and Implementation
Research and Innovation Division
UON Graduate Research
Job Ref No. 3287
Built on the principles of equity, excellence and engagement, the University of Newcastle (UON) has a reputation as a world-class institution making an impact within our regions, throughout Australia and across the globe. This is an exciting time to be part of the University of Newcastle as we embark on our NeW Futures Strategic Plan 2016-2025. We are building on strong foundations to realise our 2025 vision to stand as a global leader, distinguished by a commitment to equity and excellence, creating a better future for our regions through innovation and impact. Being part of a university on the move gives our people the opportunity to really make a mark in their chosen field.
About the opportunity
UON Graduate Research plays a major role in ensuring the UON has established goals and lead strategies to ensure that UON has a sector-leading Higher Degree by Research (HDR) program, attractive to both domestic and international candidates and is active in engaging with industry and the wider community.
The Project Manager, HDR Development and Implementation will be responsible for the development and implementation of institution-wide HDR initiatives that will facilitate the achievement of the UON's Strategic Plan goals regarding provision of HDR. This will involve:
- fostering the development and implementation of strategies related to the implementation of a comprehensive HDR program that ensures that our graduates undertake world-leading translational research, connecting research to society, and develop skills and experiences that facilitate future career success, and
- maximise the University of Newcastle's (UON) ability to attract high quality HDR candidates.
Reporting to the Dean of Graduate Research, this role will drive improvements in HDR programs, engagement, skills and career development of candidates, and capacity and skills of HDR supervisors. These initiatives will increase the profile and reputation of the UON in the HDR sector both nationally and internationally.
This opportunity is provided on a full-time, 2 year fixed term contract basis.
Skills and experience
To be successful in this position, you will have:
- Postgraduate qualifications or progress towards postgraduate qualifications and extensive relevant experience; or extensive experience and management expertise; or an equivalent combination of relevant experience and/or education/training.
- Demonstrated experience developing and successfully implementing projects and programs across an organisation, conducting post-implementation reviews and continuous improvement initiatives.
- Demonstrated experience in successfully working independently and within a team to deliver projects.
- Demonstrated ability to prioritise work within a budget and to work effectively to manage competing priorities.
- Highly effective interpersonal and communication skills and demonstrated ability to develop effective relationships with key stakeholders at all levels.
An understanding of the higher education sector is also desirable.
Please note: In accordance with the University's Staff Selection Guidelines, your application will be assessed on the selection criteria found at the link below. It is essential that you address each of the criteria to enable the selection committee to properly assess your application and suitability for interview.
HEW 8 - $94,839 to $110,645 plus superannuation.
Applications close: Tuesday, 11 April 2017
For more information about the position including selection criteria please click the 'Apply for this job' button below or go to