Technical Officer Mechanical
Faculty of Science/ Faculty Workshop
Reference no. 1966/1116A
- Be valued for your experience using a wide range of precision machining and fabrication techniques
- Opportunity to provide a variety of prototyping services for a diverse scientific community
- Full-time continuing, remuneration package: $84K-$94K p.a. which includes base salary, leave loading and up to 17% super
About the opportunity
The Faculty of Science is one of six faculties operating within the University and includes the Schools of Chemistry, Geosciences, Life and Environmental Sciences, Mathematics & Statistics, Physics, Psychology, the Sydney School of Veterinary Science and the Unit for History and Philosophy of Science. The Faculty stewards a range of research entities including the Sydney Institute of Agriculture and the Lambert Initiative for Cannabinoid Therapeutics, and partners with University-wide research centres including the Charles Perkins Centre (CPC), the Brain and Mind Centre (BMC) and the Australian Institute for Nanoscale Science and Technology (AINST).
The Technical Officer Mechanical provides mechanical workshop services that support teaching, research and general maintenance, for the Faculty of Science, using a variety of techniques and equipment within the Mechanical Workshop and the School premises in general, ensuring compliance with any relevant Australian Standards and Codes.
In this position, you will:
- collaborate with staff, academics and students on prototyping projects
- learn from and be led by experienced staff to support the teams project goals
- create prototypes for teaching and research using a wide range of manual precision machining and fabricationtechniques
- perform repairs and maintenance on a range of research and teaching equipment
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Technical Officer Mechanical who possesses:
- Fitting and Machining and/or Tool making Certificate or equivalent
- experience in working with a wide range of materials
- extensive experience in operation of manual precision machining, fabrication and CNC plant/equipment
- ability to work in a complex and challenging environment.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australia's first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across 9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 47,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 30 March 2017
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.