Faculty of Science/ Sydney School of Veterinary Science
Reference no. 190/0117
- Be valued for your exceptional knowledge and experience in providing expert technical support to researchers and students
- Opportunity to provide laboratory teaching support
- Full-time continuing
About the opportunity
The Sydney School of Veterinary Science is an internationally renowned provider of education and research and has staff and students based on campus at Camperdown and the University’s Camden campus. A key contributor to world best practice in the care of and welfare of animals for more than 100 years, our ongoing success is a result of the contribution of our innovative team of academic and professional staff members.
The Technical Office provides highly specialist and expert technical support to researchers and students using the facilities or field activities carried out by the work area. Coordinates the daily operation of the AnatomyFacilities, provides specialist technical production, support, maintenance and development for the Anatomy Facilities to meet the teaching needs of the area.
Position duties include:
- providing laboratory teaching support and assistance to coursework students, researchers and other technical staff
- assuming responsibility for delivery of technical resources for allocated unit/s of study as decided by relevant Senior Technical Officer
- maintaining the laboratory workplace ensuring that the research, learning and teaching requirements are meet within suitable timeframes
- ensuring laboratory is compliant with Workplace Health and Safety requirements
The University values courage and creativity; openness and engagement; inclusion and diversity; and respect and integrity. As such, we see the importance in recruiting talent aligned to these values in the pursuit of research excellence. We are looking for a Technical Office who possesses:
- tertiary qualifications and/or suitable work experience in the biological or anatomical field and willingness to undertake further studies to better develop their skills in laboratory techniques/methods
- laboratory skills in the area of anatomical specimen production and embalming
- proven experience dealing with animal euthanasia and/or handling of cadavers
- ability to work in a complex and challenging environment.
Since our inception 160 years ago, the University of Sydney has led to improve the world around us. We believe in education for all and that effective leadership makes lives better. These same values are reflected in our approach to diversity and inclusion, and underpin our long-term strategy for growth. We’re Australias first university and have an outstanding global reputation for academic and research excellence. Across 9 campuses, we employ over 7600 academic and non-academic staff who support over 47,000 students.
We are undergoing significant transformative change which brings opportunity for innovation, progressive thinking, breaking with convention, challenging the status quo, and improving the world around us.
All staff employed by the University of Sydney must have the right to work in Australia. An employer visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
For more information on the position and University, please view the candidate information pack available from the job’s listing on the University of Sydney careers website.
All applications must be submitted via the University of Sydney careers website. Visit http://sydney.edu.au/recruitment and search by the reference number to apply.
Closing date: 11:30pm 29 March 2017
The University of Sydney is committed to diversity and social inclusion. Applications from people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds; equity target groups including women, people with disabilities, people who identify as LGBTIQ; and people of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander descent, are encouraged.
If we think your skills are needed in other areas of the University, we will be sure to contact you about other opportunities.
© The University of Sydney
The University reserves the right not to proceed with any appointment.