PhD Position in Synthetic Biology
A PhD position is available at the Department of Biotechnology and Food Science. The appointment duration is 3 years with the possibility of 1 year extension with 25% teaching duties in agreement with the department. To undertake the teaching duties it is a requirement that the candidate speaks Norwegian or another Scandinavian language. The position is financed by NTNU.
Information about the Department of Biotechnology and Food Science, and PhotoSynLab
Researchers at NTNU's Department of Biotechnology and Food Science study both basic questions as well as problems with practical applications (https://www.ntnu.edu/biotech/research/microbial-biotechnology). At the PhotoSynLab we are pioneering synthetic biology approaches with a focus on photosynthetic organisms (www.photosynlab.org).
Synthetic biology is a crucial component for achieving a sustainable future. The PhotoSynLab has developed a technology that enables the recruitment of novel bacterial chassis for synthetic biology applications. This technology has the potential to enable re-programming of basic biological features, such as control over protein expression, and codon usage. The PhD project focuses on the implementing and developing this technology.
• Participate in engineering novel chassis for Synthetic Biology applications;
• Participate in the development of strategies to modulate protein expression;
• Participate in the development of strategies to modify codon usage.
We currently seek a talented, enthusiastic and creative scientist with the following qualifications:
• Masters in molecular biosciences;
• Excellent molecular biology skills;
• Excellent bioinformatics skills;
• Excellent statistics skills;
• Team player, motivated and able to engage in interdisciplinary collaboration;
• Good communication and networking skills;
• Proactive and forthcoming and able to work independently.
The regulations for PhD programmes at NTNU state that a Master degree or equivalent with at least 5 years of studies and an average grade of A or B, within a scale of A-E for passing grades (A best), for the two last years of the MSc is required. Candidates from universities outside Norway are kindly requested to send a Diploma Supplement or a similar document, which describes in detail the study and grade system and the rights for further studies associated with the obtained degree:
Terms of employment
The appointment of the PhD candidate will be made according to Norwegian guidelines for universities and university colleges and to the general regulations regarding university employees.
Applicants must agree to participate in organized doctoral study programs within the period of the appointment and have to be qualified for the PhD-study.
NTNU’s personnel policy objective is that the staff must reflect the composition of the population to the greatest possible extent.
The position as PhD is remunerated according to the Norwegian State salary scale. There is a 2% deduction for superannuation contribution.
The application should include:
• A one A4-page “Personal Motivation Letter” detailing suitability for the position;
• CV (including list of publications and relevant former positions);
• Copy of relevant transcripts and diplomas;
• Contact information for two references (including email addresses and telephone number).
The working languages will be Norwegian and/or English. Candidates from universities outside Scandinavia and English speaking countries are kindly requested to document English language proficiency (e.g. TOEFL, IELTS, etc.).
Further information can be obtained from:
Applications must be submitted electronically through www.jobbnorge.no
Applications submitted elsewhere will not be considered.
The reference number of the position is: NV-50/17
Application deadline: 29th March 2017
About this job
- Deadline 3/29/2017
- Employer NTNU - Norwegian University of Science and Technology
- Municipality Trondheim
- Jobbnorge ID 135478
- Internal ID NV-50/17
- Scope Fulltime
- Duration Temporary
- Applications on this job are registered in an electronic form on jobbnorge.no
- You must complete: Standard CV
- Please refer to where you first saw this job advertised!